Total views : 544
A Conceptual Approach to Location Management in Wireless Networks
In this paper, in terms of conceptual aspects, we highlight the various common key features and issues involved in the design of the location management scheme for wireless networks. Besides, regardless of supported network types, we briefly review and analyze the main features such as the conceptual basic ideas, key design principles and performance considerations on the existing location management schemes for wireless networks. We expect that the results can provide a comprehensive insight for designing more efficient location management scheme in future wireless networks as well as for fundamentally understanding the various existing location management schemes regardless of supported network types.
Location Management, MIPv6, PMIPv6, Wireless Networks
- Tabbane S. Location management methods for third-generation mobile systems. IEEE Commun Mag. 1997 Aug;35(8):72–84.
- Akyildiz IF, et al. A survey of mobility management in nextgeneration all-IP-based wireless systems. IEEE Wireless Commun. 2004 Aug; 11(4):16–28.
- Kong K-S, et al. Mobility management for all-IP mobile networks: Mobile IPv6 vs proxy mobile IPv6. IEEE Wireless Commun. 2008 Apr; 15(2):36–45,
- Johnson D, et al. Mobility support in IPv6. IETF RFC 6275; 2011Jul.
- Soliman H, Castelluccia C, Malki K, Bellier L. Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 (HMIPv6) mobility management. IETF RFC 5380; 2008 Oct.
- Jain R, Lin Y, Lo C, Mohan S. A caching strategy to reduce network impacts of PCS. IEEE J Sel Areas Commun. 1994 Oct; 12(8):1434–44.
- Jain R, Anjum F. Caching in hierarchical user location databases for PCS. Proceedings PWC’99; Jaipur. 1999 Feb. p.496–500.
- Kwon S, Nam S, Hwang H, Sung D. Analysis of a mobility management scheme considering battery power conservation in IP-based mobile networks. IEEE Trans Veh Technol.2004 Nov; 53(6):1882–90,
- Kong K-S. Performance analysis of profile-based location caching with fixed local anchor for next-generation wireless networks. IEICE Trans Commun. 2008 Nov;91B(11):3595–607.
- Jain R, Lin YB. An auxiliary user 13. Ma W, Fang Y. Dynamic hierarchical mobility management strategy for Mobile IP networks. IEEE J Sel Areas Commun.2006 Sep; 22(4):664–76.
- Ma W, Fang Y. Two-level pointer forwarding strategy for location management in PCS networks. IEEE Trans Mobil-Com. 2002 Jan-Mar; 1(1):32–45.
- Ma W, Fang Y. A pointer forwarding based local anchoring (POFLA) scheme for wireless networks. IEEE Trans Veh Technol. 2005 May; 54(3):1135–46.
- Ma W, Fang Y. Dynamic hierarchical mobility management strategy for Mobile IP networks. IEEE J Sel Areas Commun.2006 Sep; 22(4):664–76.
- Kong K-S. An enhanced signal-driven PMIPv6 for distributed mobility control. Proceedings of CUTE2014; 2014. p.1153–8.
- Ho J, Akyildiz I. Local anchor scheme for reducing signaling costs in personal communications networks. IEEE/ACM Trans Networking. 1996 Oct; 4(5):709–26.
- Bae E, Chung M, Sung D. Performance analysis of a fixed local anchor scheme for supporting UPT services. Computer Commun. 2000 Dec; 23(18):1763–76.
- Xie J, Akyildiz I. A novel distributed dynamic location management scheme for minimizing signaling costs in Mobile IP. IEEE Trans MobilCom. 2002 Jul-Sep; 1(3):163–74.
- Pyo C, Jie L, Kameda H. A dynamic and distributed domain-based mobility management method for Mobile IPv6. Proceedings VTC’03; 2003 Oct. p. 1964–8.
- Quintero A, Carcia O. A profile-based strategy for managing user mobility in third-generation mobile systems. IEEE Commun Mag. 2004 Sep; 42(9):134–9.
- Mao Z. An intra-LA location update strategy for reducing paging cost. IEEE Commun Lett. 2002 Aug; 6(8):334–5.
- Quintero A, et al. A mobility management model based on users’ mobility profiles for IPv6 networks. Computer Commun.2006 Dec; 30(1):66–80.
- Kong K-S, Roh S, Hwang C. History-based auxiliary mobility management strategy for hierarchical Mobile IPv6 networks. IEICE Trans Fundamentals. 2005 Jul;E88-A(7):1845–58.
- Shivakumar N, Jannink J, Widom J. Per-user profile replication in mobile environments: algorithms, analysis, and simulation results. ACM/Kluwer MONET. 1997 Oct;2(2):129–40.
- Chen G, Lee S. Evaluation of distributed and replicated HLR for location management in PCS Network. J Info Sci and Eng. 2003 Jan; 19:85–101.
- Chen I, et al. Quantitative analysis of a hybrid replication with forwarding strategy for efficient and uniform location management in mobile wireless networks. IEEE Trans MobilCom. 2003 Jan-Mar; 2(1):3–15.
- Jue J. Design and analysis of a replicated server architecture for supporting IP-host mobility. Cluster Computing. 1998 Jun; 1(2):249–60.location strategy employing forwarding pointers to reduce network impact of PCS.ACM-Baltzer J WINET. 1995 Jun; 1(2):197–210.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.