Total views : 63
A Digital Image Analysis to Evaluate Delamination Factor after Drilling GFRP Composites using a Kevlar Drill Bit
Objectives: Evaluation of three important delamination factor models and compare their values with varying spindle speeds and feed rates in drilling GFRP composites. Methods: Digital image analysis is adopted for measurement of the dimensions of delamination damage. Accurate assessment of delamination damage is essential for the analysis and design of optimum drilling parameters. Experiments were conducted on GFRP composite materials with feed rates ranging from 100-400 mm/min and spindle speeds ranging from 1000-2500 rpm. Findings: These experiments reveal that delamination reduces with increase in the spindle speed and reduction in the feed rate, but higher spindle speeds may increase the delamination damage. Results also reveal the consideration of area of delamination damage in the assessment of delamination is more important than the maximum damage diameter. Applications: The good mechanical properties of GFRP composites allow their use in compartment panels and doors. Digital image analysis improves the accuracy in measurement of delamination damage.
Delamination, Digital Image Analysis, Feed Rate, GFRP, Kevlar Drill Bit, Spindle Speed
- Park KY, Choi JH, Lee DG. Delamination-free and high efficiency drilling of carbon fiber reinforced plastics. J Compos Mater. 1995; 29:1998–2002.
- ChenWC. Some experimental investigations in the drilling of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) composite laminates. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 1997; 37(8):1097–108.
- Davim JP, Reis P, Antonio CC. Experimental study of drilling Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics (GFRP) manufactured by hand lay-up. Compos Sci Technol. 2004; 64:289–97.
- Davim JP, Reis P, Antonio CC. Drilling Fiber Reinforced Plastics (FRPs) manufactured by hand lay-up: Influence of matrix (Vippal VUP 9731 and ATLAC 382-05). J Mater Process Technol. 2004; 155-156:1828–33.
- Tsao CC, Hocheng H. Analysis of delamination associated with various drill bits in drilling of composite material. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2004; 44:1085–90.
- Hocheng H, Tsao CC. The path towards delamination-free drilling of composite materials. J Mater Process Technol.2005; 167:251–64.
- Ramkumar J, Aravindan S, Malhotra SK, Krishamurthy R.An enhancement of machining performance of GFRP by oscillatory assisted drilling. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. 2004; 23:240–44.
- Hocheng H, Tsao CC. Effects of special drill bits on drillinginduced delamination of composite materials. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2006; 46:1408–16.
- Tsao CC, Hocheng H. The effect of chisel length and associated pilot hole on delamination when drilling composite materials. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2003; 43:1087–92.
- Tsao CC. The effect of pilot hole on delamination when core drill drilling composite materials. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2006; 46:1653–61.
- Sao CC, Hocheng H. Effects of exit back-up on delamination in drilling composite materials using a saw drill and a core drill. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2005; 45:1261–70.
- Sao CC, Hocheng H, Chen YC. Delamination reduction in drilling composite materials by active backup force. CIRP Annals -Manufacturing Technology. 2012; 61:91–4.
- Mehbudi P, Baghlani V, Akbari J, Bushroa AR, Mardi NA. Applying ultrasonic vibration to decrease drilling induced delamination in GFRP laminates. Journal of Procedia CIRP. 2013; 6:578–83.
- Rubio JC, Abrao AM, Faria PE, Esteves Correia A, Davim JP. Effects of high speed in the drilling of glass fibre reinforced plastic. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2008; 48:715–20.
- Tsao CC, Hocheng H. Effects of exit back-up on delamination in drilling composite materials using a saw drill and a core drill. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2005; 45:1261–70.
- Liu DF, Tang YJ, Cong WL. A review of mechanical drilling for composite laminates. Compos Struct. 2012; 94:1265–79.
- König W, Grab P. Quality definition and assessment in drilling of fibre reinforced thermosets. Ann CIRP.1989; 38:119–24.
- Tagliaferri V, Caprino G, Diterlizzi A. Effect of drilling parameters on the finish and mechanical properties of GFRPcomposites. Int J Mach Tools Manuf 1990; 30(1):77–84.
- De Albuquerque VHC, Tavares JMRS, Durão LMP. Evaluation of delamination damage on composite plates using an artificial neural network for the radiographic image analysis. J Compos Mater. 2010; 44(9):1139–59.
- Davim JP, Reis P. Study of delamination in drilling Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP) using design experiments. Compos Struc. 2003; 59(4):481–7.
- Gaitonde VN, Karnik SR, Davim JP. Prediction and minimization of delamination in drilling of Medium-Density Fiberboard (MDF) using response surface methodology and Taguchi design. Mater Manuf Process. 2008; 23(4):377–84.
- Durão LMP, Tavares JMRS, De Albuquerque VHC, Marques AT, Magalhães AG, Vieira AA. Tool effects on hybrid laminates drilling. Mater Manuf Process. 2010; 25(6):476–481.
- Piquet R, Ferret B, Lachaud, Swider P. Experimental analysis of drilling damage in thin carbon/epoxy plate using special drills. Compos Part A. 2000; 31(10):1107–15.
- Bhatnagar N, Singh I, Nayak D. Damage investigation in drilling of glass fiber reinforced plastic composite laminates.Mater Manuf Process. 2004; 19(6):995–1007.
- Cai XJ, et al. Experimental analysis on delamination damage by acoustic emission in highspeed drilling of carbon fiber reinforced plastics. Key Engineering Materials. 2014; 589-590:287–92.
- Seif MA, Khashaba UA, Rojas-Oviedo R. Measuring delamination in carbon/epoxy composites using a shadow moire laser based imaging technique. Compos Struct. 2007; 79:113–8.
- Babu J, Sunny T, Paul NA, Keerthy PM, Philip J, Davim JP. Assessment of delamination in composite materials: A review. Proc I Mech E Part B: J Engineering Manufacture.2016; 230(11):1990–2003.
- Babu J, Philip J, Zacharia T, Davim JP. Delamination in composite materials: Measurement, assessment and pre diction. Davim JP, editor. Machinability of fibre-reinforced plastics. Berlin: De Gruyter; 2015. p. 139–62.
- Khashaba UA. Delamination in drilling GFR-thermoset composites. Compos Struct. 2004; 63(3-4):313–27.
- Faraz A, Biermann D, Weinert K. Cutting edge rounding: An innovative tool wear criterion in drilling CFRP composite laminates. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. 2009; 49:1185–96.
- Davim JP, Rubio JC, Abrão AM. A novel approach based on digital image analysis to evaluate the delamination factor after drilling composite laminates. Compos Sci Technol.2007; 67(9):1939–45.
- Tsao CC, Kuo KL, Hsu IC. Evaluation of a novel approach to a delamination factor after drilling composite laminates using a core–saw drill. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. 2012; 59:617–22.
- Babu J, Paul NA, Keerthy PM, Philip J, Davim JP. Examination and modification of equivalent delamination factor for assessment of high speed drilling. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 2016; 30(11):5159–65.
- da Silva DNR. Image processing methodology for assessment of drilling induced damage in CFRP [Thesis 2013].Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia, Universidade Nova de Lisboa; 2013. p. 38.
- Nagarajan VA, Rajadurai JS, Annil Kumar T. A digital image analysis to evaluate delamination factor for wind turbine composite laminate blade. Compos Part B. 2012; 43:3153–9.
- Sastry KVK, Rao VS. Palanikumar K, Dhanalakshmi R, Abhishek K. Assessment of process parameters influencing delamination factor on the drilling of CFRC composite material with TiN coated carbide tool. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jan; 7(2):142–50.
- Valarmathi TN, Palanikumar K, Sekar S. Parametric analysis on delamination in drilling of wood composite panels. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Apr; 6(4):4347–56.
- Thirunavukkarasu V, Kumar JS. A novel method to detect copy-move tampering in digital images. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(8). DOI: 10.17485/ ijst/2016/v9i8/87900.
- Verma A, Khanna G. A survey on digital image processing techniques for tumor detection. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aprl; 9(14). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/ v9i14/84976.
- Prasad KL, Rao TChM, Kannan V. A novel and hybrid secure digital image watermarking framework through scLWT-SVD. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(23). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i23/95273.
- Palanikumar K. Experimental investigation and optimization in drilling of GFRP composites. Measurement. 2011; 44:2138–48.
- Ghasemi FA, Hyvadi A, Payganeh G, Arab NBM. Effects of drilling parameters on delamination of glass epoxy composites. Australian Journal of Basic Applied Sciences. 2011; 5(12):1433–40.
- Sunny T, Babu J, Philip J. Experimental studies on effect of process parameters on delamination in drilling GFRP composites using Taguchi method. Procedia Materials Science.2014; 6:1131–42.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.