Total views : 612
A Dynamic 3D S-Box based on Cylindrical Coordinate System for Blowfish Algorithm
Blowfish Algorithm (BA) is a symmetric block cipher that uses Feistel network to iterate simple encryption and decryption functions. The BA key varies from 32 to 448 bits to ensure a high level of security. However, S-boxes in the BA have a high percentage of memory. A new cryptography algorithm based on BA is designed to overcome this problem. This algorithm adapts a new function (F-function) into a Cylindrical Coordinate System (CCS). The F-function is known as Cylindrical Coordinate System with Dynamic Permutation Box (CCSDPB). The study involved three phases: design, implementation, and verification. In the first phase, dynamic 3D S-box, dynamic P-box, and F-function were designed. The second phase involved performing key expansion, data encryption, and data decryption. Verification includes evaluating the output of the new design using the National Institute of Standard and Technology (NIST) randomness statistical test and cryptanalysis. Results of the statistical tests show that the new design is suitable with any data stream, including a long string of identical bytes. The combination of a dynamic permutation box with a dynamic 3D S-box is an effective approach that strengthens the design resistance against attacks such as differential, linear, and short attacks, as well as and increase the randomness of outputs.
Cylindrical Coordinate System, Dynamic 3D S-Box, Dynamic P-Box, NIST Statistical Tests
- Schneier B. Description of a new variable-length key, 64-bit block cipher (Blowfish). Fast Software Encryption. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer; 1994. p. 191-204.
- Kumar R, Pradeep E, Naveen K, Gunasekaran R. A novel approach for enciphering data of smaller bytes. International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering. 2010;2:654-9.
- Cornwell J. Blowfish Survey. Department of Computer Science. Columbus: GA Columbus State University; 2012.p. 1-6.
- Halagali B. Designing the S-boxes of blowfish algorithm using linear congruential generator. ASM’s International E-Journal of Ongoing Research in Management and IT;2013. p. 1-11.
- Hashim A, Al-Qarrawy S, Mahdi J. Design and implementation of an improvement of blowfish encryption algorithm.IJCCCE. 2009; 9(1):1-15.
- Mahdi J. Design and implementation of proposed BR encryption algorithm. IJCCCSE. 2009; 9(1):1-17.
- Kazlauskas K, Kazlauskas J. Key-dependent S-box generation in AES block cipher system. Informatics. 2009; 20(1):23-34.
- Schneier B. Applied Cryptography. Protocols, Algorithms and Source Code in C. John Wiley and Sons, Inc.; 1996.
- Bagad V, Dhotre I. Cryptography and Network Security. 2nd ed. Pune, India: Technical Publications; 2008.
- Tilborg V, Jajodia H. Encyclopedia of Cryptography and Security. 2nd ed. New York, USA: Springer; 2011. p. 1435.
- Wang Z, Graham J, Ajam N, Jiang H. Design and optimization of hybrid MD5-blowfish encryption on GPUs. Proceedings of 2011 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications; Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. 2011. p. 18-21.
- Zhang R, Chen L. A block cipher using key-dependent S-box and P-boxes. IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics; 2008. p. 1463-8.
- Chandrasekaran J, Subramanyan B, Raman S. Ensemble of blowfish with chaos based S-box design for text and image encryption. IJNSA. 2011; 3(4):165-73.
- Milad A, Muda H, Noh Z, Algaet M. Comparative study of performance in cryptography algorithms (Blowfish and Skipjack). Journal of Computer Science. 2012; 8(7):1191-7.
- Vaudenay S. On the weak keys of Blowfish. Fast Software Encryption. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 1995. p. 27-32.
- Nakahara J. A linear analysis of Blowfish and Khufu. Information Security Practice and Experience. Berlin, Heidelberg:Springer; 2007. p. 20-32.
- Nakahara J. 3D: A three-dimensional block cipher. Cryptology and Network Security. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer;2008. p. 252-67.
- Ariffin S. A human immune system inspired byte permutation of block cipher [PhD thesis]. Malaysia: University of Putra; 2012.
- Suri P, Deora S. 3D array block rotation cipher: An improvement using lateral shift. Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology. 2011; 11(19):1-8.
- Ritter T. Substitution cipher with pseudo-random shuffling: The dynamic substitution combiner. Cryptologia. 1990;14(4):289–303.
- El-Ramly S, El-Garf T, Soliman H. Dynamic generation of S-boxes in block cipher systems. IEEE Proceedings of the 18th National Radio Science Conference; 2011. p. 389-97.
- Ali F. A New 128-Bit Block Cipher [PhD thesis]. Malaysia:University of Putra; 2009.
- Juremi J, Mahmod R, Sulaiman S. A proposal for improving AES S-box with rotation and key-dependent. IEEE International Conference on Cyber Security, Cyber Warfare and Digital Forensic (CyberSec); 2012. p. 38-42.
- Elkamchouchi H, Makar M. Kamkar symmetric block cipher. NRSC Proceedings of the 21st National Radio Science Conference; 2004. p. 1-9.
- Krishnamurthy N, Ramaswamy V. Performance analysis of Blowfish and its modified version using encryption quality, key sensitivity, histogram and correlation coefficientanalysis.International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering.2009; 1(2):1-4.
- Mohammad F, Rohiem A, Elbayoumy A. A novel S-box of AES algorithm using variable mapping technique. Aerospace Sciences and Aviation Technology. 2009:1-9.
- Ritter T. Transposition cipher with pseudo-random shuffling:the dynamic transposition combiner. Cryptologia.1991:37–41.
- Stoianov N. One approach of using key-dependent S-boxes in AES. Multimedia Communications, Services and Security.Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 2011. p. 317-23.
- Hosseinkhani R, Javadi H. Using cipher key to generate dynamic S-box in AES cipher system. International Journal of Computer Science and Security. 2012; 6(19):19-28.
- Mahmoud E, Hafez A, Elgarf T, Zekry A. Dynamic AES-128 with key-dependent S-box. InternationalJournal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2013;3(1):1662–70.
- Suri P, Deora S. A cipher based on 3D array block rotation.IJCSNS. 2010; 10(2):186-91.
- Kalnins L. Coordinate Systems. 2009:1–5.
- Collins G. The foundations of celestial mechanics. Tucson, AZ: Pachart Publishing House (Pachart Astronomy and Astrophysics Series); 1989.
- Brougham H. Coordinate Systems and Transformation.124–130.
- MIT. Review B: Coordinate Systems. Department of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; 2005.
- Soto J. Randomness testing of the AES candidate algorithms.NIST. Citeseer. 1999:1-10. Available from: csrc. nist.gov.
- Soto J, Bassham L. Randomness testing of the advanced encryption standard finalist candidates. DTIC Document.2000:1-14.
- Isa H, Z’aba M. Randomness analysis on LED block ciphers. ACM Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Security of Information and Networks; 2012. p.60-6.
- Mar P, Latt K. New analysis methods on strict avalanche criterion of S-boxes. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2008; 48:150-4.
- Rukhin A et al. A statistical test suite for random and pseudorandom number generators for cryptographic applications.National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication; 2010. Report number: 800-22.
- Menezes A, Van Oorschot P, Vanstone S. Handbook of Applied Cryptography. CRC Press; 1996.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.