Total views : 261
Utilization of Granite Slurry Waste in Concrete: A Review
Objective: Huge quantity of granite production leads to the collection of enormous quantity of slurry. Random disposal of this generated waste degrades the environment in numerous ways. Utilization of this waste may solve the problem of waste generation and also the problem of scarcity of natural resources. Methods/Analysis: Granite slurry waste does not contain silt or organic impurities. Also, the use of this waste in place of cement will reduce energy demand, CO2 emission and consumption of natural resources. Sufficient literature is available and it indicates that this waste can be used in place of Fine Aggregate (F.A.) or cement. In this paper salient available experimental studies using the granite slurry waste have been reviewed. Findings: It is shown that the granite slurry waste reduces the workability whereas compressive strength of granite concrete is improved when fine aggregate or cement is partially replaced. It has been also shown that the modified concrete performed well when level of F.A. by granite slurry waste is up to 15%. Conclusion/Application: Utilization of this waste will reduce the cost of concrete, reduce environmental pollution, consumption of natural resources and energy demand.
Concrete Properties, Durability, Environmental Benefits, Granite Waste, Modulus of Elasticity, Water Permeability.
- Almeida N, Branco F, Santos JR. Recycling of stone slurry in industrial activities: Application to concrete mixtures. Building and Environment. 2007 Feb; 42(2):810–9. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2005.09.018
- Hudson BP. Manufactured sand for concrete: Talks of the many properties that good manufactured sand can offer to enhance the performance of concrete. Indian Concrete Journal. 1997; 71:237–41.
- Safiuddin M, Raman SN, Zain MF. Utilization of quarry waste fine aggregate in concrete mixtures. Journal of Applied Sciences Research. 2007; 3(3):202–8.
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)/International Energy Agency (IEA). Cement Technology Roadmap 2009- Carbon emissions reductions up to 2050. 2009. Available from: www.iea.org/papers/2009/ Cement_Roadmap.pdf
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)/International Energy Agency (IEA). Cement roadmap targets; 2009b. Available from: www.iea.org/ papers/2009/Cement_Roadmap_targets_viewing Pdf
- Rego G, Martínez C, Quero A, Blanco TP, Borquea JM. The effects of dust inhalation in slate industry workers. Medicinaclinica. 2001 Mar; 116(8):290–1.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-7753(01)71802-7
- Barbosa MS, Carneiro AP, Maciel JG, Moronte EA, La Rocca PD, Santos ARM. Silicosis among quartzite production workers of Sao Thome das Letras-Minas Gerais region: Initial data indicate serious public health issue. Revista Brasileira de Saude Ocupacional. 2011 Jun; 36(123):177– 84.https://doi.org/10.1590/S0303-76572011000100018
- Menezes RR, Neves GA, Ferreira HC, Santana LNL. Recycling of mine wastes as ceramic raw materials: An alternative to avoid environmental contamination. INTECH Open Access Publisher; 2012.
- Pappu A, Saxena M, Asolekar SR. Solid wastes generation in India and their recycling potential in building materials. Building and Environment. 2007 Jun; 42(6):2311–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2006.04.015
- Ribeiroa SV, Holandaa JNF. Soil-cement bricks incorporated with granite cutting sludge. IJESIT. 2014 Mar; 3(2).
- Ramos T, Matos AM, Schmidt B, Rio J, Sousa-Coutinho J. Granitic quarry sludge waste in mortar: Effect on strength and durability. Construction and Building Materials. 2013 Oct; 47:1001–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.05.098'
- Mármol I, Ballester P, Cerro S, Monrós G, Morales J, Sánchez L. Use of granite sludge wastes for the production of coloured cement-based mortars. Cement and Concrete Composites. 2010 Sep; 32(8):617–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2010.06.003
- Binici H, Shah T, Aksogan O, Kaplan H. Durability of concrete made with granite and marble as recycle aggregates. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2008 Nov; 208(1):299–308 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.12.120
- Divakar Y, Manjunath S, Aswath MU. Experimental investigation on behaviour of concrete with the use of granite fines. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies. 2012; 1(4):84–7.
- Vijayalakshmi M, Sekar AS. Strength and durability properties of concrete made with granite industry waste. Construction and Building Materials. 2013 Sep; 46:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.04.018
- Williams CK, Partheeban P, Kala TF. Mechanical properties of high performance concrete incorporating granite powder as fine aggregate. India International Journal on Design and Manufacturing Technologies. 2008 Jul; 2(1):67–73. https://doi.org/10.18000/ijodam.70029
- Manasseh JO. Use of crushed granite fine as replacement to river sand in concrete production. Leonardo electronics journal of practice and technologies. 2010 Jul; (17):85–96.
- Kala DT. Effect of granite strength powder on properties of concrete. International Journal of Engineering and Science. 2013 May; 2(12):36–50.
- Arulraj GP, Adin A, Kannan TS. Granite powder concrete. IRACST. Engineering Science and Technology: An International Journal (ESTIJ). 2013; 3(1):193.
- Soman K, Sasi MD, Abubaker KA. Strength Properties of Concrete with Partial Replacement of Cement by Granite Quarry Dust. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology 2014 Sep; 3(9).
- Elmoaty AE. Mechanical properties and corrosion resistance of concrete modified with granite dust. Construction and Building Materials. 2013 Oct; 47:743–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.05.054
- Srinivasa CH. Optimization of granite powder used as partial replacement to cement in the design of ready mix concrete of M20 grade using IS10262: 2009. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2015 Aug; 4(1).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.