Total views : 279
A 4-ary Control Algorithm for Direct Power Control of Three Phase Pulse Width Modulated Rectifier
Objectives: The Direct Power Control (DPC) strategy for front end Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) rectifier employing binary hysteresis controller with two digital outputs and a new 4-ary control algorithm with four digital outputs is investigated. Methods/Analysis: The prototype DPC-PWM rectifier based on conventional binary algorithm and proposed 4-ary control algorithm for hysteresis controllers is designed and modeling and simulation was performed in MATLAB/ SIMILINK® environment. The total harmonic distortion of supply current and average switching frequency under steady state are measured for a load of wide dynamic range for different hysteresis widths. The DC output voltage ripples and power ripples are also observed. Findings: It was found that the total harmonic distortion in supply current was reduced and remained bounded within narrow range in 4-ary control as compared to binary control. The average switching frequency also remained bounded within narrow range in proposed control as compared to conventional hysteresis control. The DC output voltage ripples and power ripples were found to be reduced considerably at heavy loads as compared to binary control. Novelty/Improvement: The tight control of active and reactive powers not only around the hysteresis band but also within the hysteresis band is achieved with simple algorithm.
Direct Power Control, DPC, 4-ary Algorithm, Front End Rectifier, Improved DPC, Pulse Width Modulated Rectifier.
- Liserre M, Aquila AD, Blaabjerg F. An overview of three-phase voltage source active rectifiers interfacing the utility. IEEE Power Tech Conference Proceedings; Bologna, Italy. 2003 Jun 23-26.
- Wu R, Dewan SB, Slemon GR. A PWM AC to DC converter with fixed switching frequency. IEEE Conference Proceedings of Industry Application Society Meeting. 1988 Oct; 1:706–11.
- Jahns TM, Blasko V. Recent advances in power electronics technology for industrial and traction machine drives. Proceedings of the IEEE. 2001; 89(6):963–75.
- Malinowski M. Sensorless control strategies for three-phase PWM rectifiers. [PhD Thesis]. Institute of Control and Industrial Electronics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering: Warsaw University of Technology; 2001.
- Hansen S, Malinowski M, Blaabjerg F, Kazmierkowski MP. Control strategies for PWM rectifiers without line voltage sensors. Proceedings of IEEE APEC. 2000; 2:832–9.
- Kazmierkowski MP, Malesani L. Current control techniques for three-phase voltage-source PWM converters: A survey. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 1998 Oct; 45(5):691–703.
- Kwon BH, Youm JH, Lim JW. A line-voltage-sensorless synchronous rectifier. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 1999 Sept; 14(5):966–72.
- Prasad JS, Bhavsar T, Ghosh R, Narayanan G. Vector control of three-phase AC/DC front-end converter. Sadhana. 2008 Oct; 33(5):591–613.
- Bose Bimal K. Modern power electronics and AC Drives. 2nd ed. New Delhi: PHI Learning Private Limited; 2002.
- Ohnishi T. Three phase PWM converter/inverter by means of instantaneous active and reactive power control. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation IECON'91; 1991. p. 819–24.
- Noguchi T, Tomiki H, Kondo S, Takahashi I. Direct Power Control of PWM converter without power-source voltage sensors. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 1998 May-Jun; 34(3):473–9.
- Malinowski M, Kazmierkowski MP, Hansen S, Blaabjerg F, Marques GD. Virtual-flux-based Direct Power Control of three-phase PWM rectifiers. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 2001; 37(4):1019–27.
- Malinowski M, Jasinski M, Kazmierkowski MP. Simple Direct Power Control of three-phase PWM rectifier using Space-Vector Modulation (DPC-SVM). IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2004 Apr; 51(2):447–54.
- Larrinaga S. Predictive control of the 2L-VSI and 3L-NPC VSI based on Direct Power Control for MV grid-connected power applications. [Ph. Thesis]. Mondragon, Espanha: Goi Eskola Politeknikoa Faculty of Engineering; 2007.
- Wang J. Model predictive control of power electronics converter. [Master of Science Thesis]. Department of Electric Power Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology; 2012.
- Bouafia A, Gaubert JP, Krim F. Analysis and design of new switching table for Direct Power Control of three-phase PWM rectifier. Proceedings of IEEE 13th Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, EPE-PEMC; 2008.
- Baktash A, Vahedi A, Masoum M. Improved switching table for Direct Power Control of three-phase PWM rectifier. Proceedings of Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference, AUPEC; 2007. p. 1–5.
- Eloy-Garcia J, Alves R. DSP-based Direct Power Control of a VSC with voltage angle estimation. IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, TDC'06; Latin America. 2006. p.1–5.
- Zhang Y, Li Z, Zhang Y, Xie W, Piao Z, Hu C. Performance improvement of Direct Power Control of PWM rectifier with simple calculation. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2013; 28(7):3428–37.
- Hu J, Zhu J, Dorrell DG. In-depth study of Direct Power Control strategies for power converters. IET Power Electronics. 2014; 7(7):1810–20.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.