Total views : 59
Facies, Depositional Environment and Sequence Stratigraphy of Dalan Formation in Persian Gulf (Qatar-South Fars Arch) Well SP-A Subsurface Section
Objectives: Facies, depositional environment and sedimentary cycles of Dalan Formation in the South Pars gas field are the aspects that this paper is focused on. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Three hundred and seventy-eight thin-sections prepared from cutting and cores were evaluated by using petrographic microscope. Corel Draw X6, Autodesk Map, Corel Photo-Paint, Autodesk Map, DN2 Microscopy Image Processing System, Geocalc and Auto Cad 2014 employed for this research. Findings: Twenty-four major facies in five facies associations were identified comprising Tidal flat (A), Lagoon (B), Shoal (C), Open marine (D) and Mid ramp (E). The Dalan Formation was deposited in inner to mid parts of a homoclinal ramp. The sequence stratigraphy studies revealed the seven main third– order sedimentary cycles in the well SP-A. The shoal ooid grainstone facies with intergranular, moldicand fracture porosity comprise the main reservoir facies of the Dalan Formation. Dissolution, dolomitization, anhydritization, compaction and cementation are the main diagenetic processes in this formation which played an important role in the quality of the reservoir. Applications/Improvements: The results obtained from this paper, can be used to construct a major depositional framework in the Qatar-South Fars Arch for later exploration purposes.
Dalan Formation, Depositional Sequence, Homoclinal Ramp
- Insalaco E, Virgone A, Courme B, Gaillot J, Kamali M, Moallemi A, Lotfpour M, Monibi S. Upper Dalan member and Kangan formation between the Zagros Mountains and offshore Fars, Iran: Depositional system, biostratigraphy and Stratigraphic architecture. GeoArabia. 2006; 11(2):74– 6.
- Fotovat M, Hosseini GH, Rahimpour-Bonab H. Sedimentary environment of upper Dalan Member in Qatar-Fars Arch and its eastern margin: South Pars and Salman fields (In Persian). Stratigraphy and Sedimentology Researches.2012; 42(1):115–36.
- Ghazban F. Petroleum geology of the Persian Gulf. Tehran University and National Iranian Oil Company: Tehran; 2007.
- Edgell HS. The Permian system as an oil and gas reservoir in Iran, Iraq and Arabia. Proceedings of Second Iranian Geological Symposium; 1977. p. 161–201.
- Perotti CR, Carruba S, Bertozzi G, Felter L, Rahimi M. The Qatar-South Fars Arch development (Arabian platform, Persian Gulf): Insights from seismic interpretation and analogue modelling. In: New frontiers in tectonic research- at the midst of plate convergence. Schattner U, editor, In Tech Publ.: Croati; 2011. p. 325–52. Crossref
- Dunham RJ. Classification of carbonate rocks according to depositional texture. In: A Symposium on Classification of Carbonate rocks. WE Ham, editor, a symposium. AAPG Mem: Texas. 1962; 1:108–71.
- Flügel E. Microfacies of carbonate rocks, analysis, interpretation and application. 2nd edn. Springer- Verlag: New York; 2010.
- Carozzi AV. Carbonate rocks depositional model. Prentice Hall: New Jersey; 1989. PMCid:PMC267666
- Davis RA, Dalrymple RW. Principle of tidal sedimentology.(eds.), Springer: Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York; 2012.
- Warren JK. Evaporites: Sediments, resources and hydrocarbons.Springer-Verlag: Berlin Heidelberg New York; 2006.Crossref
- Lasemi Y. Facies analysis, depositional environments and sequence stratigraphy of the upper pre-Cambrian and Paleozoic rocks of Iran (in Persian). Geological Survey of Iran: Tehran, 2001.
- Lasemi Y, Jahani D, Amin-Rasouli H, Lasemi Z. Ancient Carbonate Tidalites. In: Principle of Tidal Sedimentology.Davis RA, Dalrymple RW, editors, Springer: Netherlands; 2011. p. 567–607.
- Mahboubeh A, Kohansal Ghadimvand N, Kangazian A, Hejazi SH. Sedimentary environment and sequence stratigraphy of the lower cretaceous deposits in the bideshk area, at North of Esfahan, Iran. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(17). Crossref
- Mahboubeh A, Ghadimvand NK, Kangazian A, Hejazi SH.Facies analysis, sedimentary environment and sequence stratigraphy of the lower cretaceous deposits in the Kalahroud area, at North of Esfahan, Iran. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015. Crossref
- Catuneanu O. Principles of sequence stratigraphy. 1st edn.Elsevier: Italy; 2006. Crossref1 Crossref2
- Catuneanu O, Abrea V, Bhuttacharya JP, Blum MD, Dalrymple RW, Eriksson PG, Fielding CR, Fisher WL, Galloway WE, Gibling MR, Giles KA, Holbrook JM, Jordan R, Kendall CGSTC, Macurda B, Martinsen OJ, Miall AD, Neal JE, Nummedal D, Pomar L, Posamentier HW, Pratt BR, Sarg JF, Shanley KW, Steel RJ, Strasser A, Tucker ME, Winker C. Towards the standardization of sequence stratigraphy. Earth-Science Reviews. 2009; 92:1–33. Crossref
- Catuneanu O, Galloway WE, Kendall CGSTC, Miall AD, Posamentier HW, Strasser A, Tucker ME. Sequence stratigraphy: Methodology and nomenclature. Newsletters on Stratigraphy. 2011; 44(3):173–45. Crossref
- Snedden JW, Liu C. A compilation of Phanerozoic sea-level change, coastal onlaps and recommended sequence designation [Internet]. [cited 2010 Aug 20].Available from: Crossref
- Haq BU, Shutter SR. A chronology of Paleozoic sea-level changes. Science. 2008; 322(5898):64–8. Crossref 20. Haq BU, Al-Qahtani AM. Phanerozoic cycles change on Arabian platform. GeoArabia. 2005; 10(2):127–60.
- Bendias D, Koehrer B, Obermaier M, Aigner T. Mid-Permian Khuff sequence KS6: Paleo relief- influenced facies and sequences patterns in the Lower Khuff time-equivalent strata, Oman Mountains, Sultanate of Oman. GeoArabia. 2013; 18(3):135–78.
- Koehrer B, Aigner T, Forke H, Pöppelreiter M. Middle to Upper Khuff (Sequences KS1 to KS4) outcrop equivalents in the Oman Mountains: Grainstone architecture on a sub regional scale. GeoArabia. 2012; 17(4):59–104.
- Koehrer B, Zeller M, Aigner T, Pöppelreiter M, Milory P, Forke H, Al-Kindi S. Facies and stratigraphic framework of a Khuff outcrop equivalent: Saiq and Mahil formations, Al Jabal al-Akhdar, Sultanate of Oman. GeoArabia. 2010; 15(2):91–156.
- Shen SZ, Schnider JW, Angiolini L, Henderson CM. The international Permian time scale: March 2013 updated. In: The Carboniferous- Permian Transition. Lucas SG et al., editor, Museum of Natural History and Science: New Mexico.2013; Bulletin 60: 411–16.
- Gradstein FM, Ogg JC, Smith AG. A geological time scale.Cambridge University Press: New York; 2004.
- Sharland PR, Casey DM, Davies RB, Simmons MD, Sutcliffe OE. Arabian plate sequence stratigraphy. GeoArabia.2004; 9(1):199–214.
- Simmons MD, Sharland PR, Casey DM, Davies RB, Sutcliffe OE. Arabian plate sequence stratigraphy: Potential implications for global chronostratigraphy. GeoArabia.2007; 12(4):101–30.
- Lotfpour M, Adabi MH, Sadeghi A, Moallemi SA. Sedimentary environment and sequence stratigraphy of Dalan Formation in Zagros area (In Persian). Journal University Science Tehran. 2005; 31(1):199–28.
- Aleali M, Rahimpour-Bonab H, Moussavi-Harami R, Jahani D. Environmental and sequence stratigraphic implications of anhydrite textures: A case study from Lower Triassic of Central Persian Gulf. Journal of Asian Earth Science.2013; 75:110–25. Crossref
- Teymourzadeh H, Vaziri SH, Jahani D, Ghadimvand NK, Yahyaei A. Exploration characteristics and Lithostratigraphy of the Kangan and upper Dalan formations in Lavan gas field, Northen Persian Gulf. Academic Research Part A.2014; 6(5):311–20.
- Jahani D, Ghadimvand NK, Mohammad –Jafari P. Anhydrite fabrics in kangan Formation (Lower Triassic) in Fars and Zagros sub-basins (In Persian). Journal of Salt. 2012; 1(2):13–18.
- Zamannejad A, Jahani D, Lotfpour M, Movahed B. Mixed evaporite/ carbonate characteristics of the Triassic Kangan Formation, offshore area, Persian Gulf. Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geológicas. 2013; 30(3):540–51.
- Tucker ME, Wright VP. Carbonate sedimentology. Blackwell Publishing Company: UK; 1990.
- Alsharhan AS, Kendall CGSTC. Holocene coastal carbonate and evaporites of the southern Arabian Gulf and their ancient analogues. Earth Science Reviews. 2002; 61(3– 4):191–43. Crossref
- Gundogan I, Mehmet O, Depçi T. Sedimentology, petrography, and diagenesis of Eocene-Oligocene evaporites: The Tuzhisar Formation, SW Sivas Basin, Turkey. Journal of Asian Earth Science. 2005; 25(5):791–803. Crossref
- Strasser A. Black-pebble occurrence and genesis in Holocene carbonate sediments (Florida Keys, Bahamas and Tunisia).Journal of Sedimentary Petrology. 1984; 54(4):1097– 109. Crossref
- Steinhoff I, Strohmenger C. Zechstein 2 carbonate platform subfacies and grain-type distribution (Upper Permian, Northwest Germany). Facies. 1996; 35(1):105–32. Crossref
- Khalifa MA. Lithofacies, diagenesis and cyclicity of the ‘Lower Member’ of the Khuff Formation (Late Permian), Al Qasim Province, Saudi Arabia. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. 2005; 25(5):719–34. Crossref
- Berkyová S, Munnecke A. Calcispheres as a source of lime mud and peloids – Evidence from the early middle Devonian of the Prague Basin, the Czeck republic. Bulletin of Geosciences. 2010; 85(4):585–602. Crossref
- Madi A, Savard MM, Bourque PA, Chi G. Hydrocarbon potential of the Mississippian carbonate Platform, Bechar Basin. Algerian Sahara. 2000; 84(2):266–87.
- Sadeghi M, Rashidi K, Shabanian R. Introducing the calcareous algae of Permian Dasyclads and Gymnocodiacean family, Pir- Eshagh section, South Jolfa, a report of Tabasoporella sp. from Dasyclad family in Northwestern Iran (In Persian). Geosciences. 2015; 24(95):55–66.
- Karimi H, Ghadimvand NK, Kangazian A. Sedimentary environment and sequence stratigraphy of the Kangan formation in Kish Gas Field (Kish Well A1 subsurface section).Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(7).Crossref
- Bathurst RGC. Carbonate sediments and their diagenesis.2nd enlarged edition – Developments in Sedimentology.Elsevier: Amesterdam; 1975.
- Madi A, Bourque PA, Mamet BI. Depth-related ecological zonation of a Carboniferous carbonate ramp: Upper Viséan of Béchar Basin, Western Algeria. Facies. 1996; 35(1):59– 80. Crossref
- Calvet F, Tucker ME. Outer ramp cycles in the upper Muschelkalk of the Catalan basin, Northeast Spain. Sedimentary Geology. 1988; 57(3–4):785–98. Crossref
- Posamentier HW, Allen GP. Siliciclastic sequence stratigraphy: concepts and applications. SEPM Concepts in Sedimentology and Paleontology Series 7. Society for Sedimentary Geology: Tulsa; 2000.
- Stampfli GM. Tethyan Oceans. In: Tectonics and Magmatism in Turkey and the Surrounding Area. Bozkurt E, Winchester Ja, Piper JDA, editors. Geological Society of London: Special Publication. 2000; 173:1–23.
- Angiolini L, Balini M, Garzanti E, Nicora A, Tintori A, Crasquin S, Muttoni G. Permian climatic and paleogeographic changes in Northern Gondwana: The Khuff Formation of Interior Oman. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 2003; 191(3–4):269–300. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.