Total views : 515
A Comprehensive Survey on Taxonomy and Challenges of Distributed File Systems
Background/Objectives: To analyze, find and interpret the current challenges in Distributed File Systems for research. Method/Statistical Analysis: With the immense growth of network applications a large amount of data existence is managed and stored. To process a huge amount data that is to be stored, a backend framework is required and for that DFS provides a central store for those data. As the amount of data being increased, the issue of proving efficient and easy to use solution arises and this issue is overcome using distributed file systems. Findings: In this research, an overview about various evolution of file system and how distributed file system is being used effectively in wide variety of network applications. DFS aims at sharing data and storing resources which is physically distributed on computers with a common file system. The main issues concerning the design of DFS such as fault tolerance, architecture, synchronization, consistency and replication and few others are also discussed in detail. It alsogives a comprehensive taxonomy of DFS in detail. Applications/Improvements: The encouraging results observed from this work serve as the motivation to apply future implementation of DFS within the context of current developments in distributed computing.
Challenges, Distributed File System, Fault Tolerance, Scalability, Transparency
- Alonso R, Barbara D, Cova LL. Using stashing to increase node autonomy in distributed file systems. Huntsville, AL: Proceedings of 9th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems. 1990; p.12–21.
- Hac A. Modelling parallel access to shared resources in a distributed file system using queueing networks. Journal of Systems and Software. 1986; 6(1-2):61–9.
- Akinlar C, Mukherjee S. A scalable distributed multimedia file system using network attached autonomous disks. San Francisco, CA: Proceedings of 8th International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems. 2000; p. 180–87.
- Martini B, Choo KKR. Distributed filesystem forensics: XtreemFS as a case study, Digital Investigation. 2014; 11(4):295–313.
- Gaidioz B, Koblitz B, Santos N. Exploring high performance distributed file storage using LDPC codes. Parallel Computing. 2007; 33(4-5):264–74.
- Bian J, Seker R. The Jigsaw secure distributed file system. Computers & Electrical Engineering. 2013; 39(4):1142–52.
- Amudhavel J, et al. An robust recursive ant colony optimization strategy in VANET for accident avoidance (RACO-VANET). International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT); Nagercoil. 2015. p. 1–6.
- Amudhavel J, et al. A krill herd optimization based fault tolerance strategy in MANETs for dynamic mobility. International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT); Nagercoil. 2015. p. 1–7.
- Amudhavel J, Prabu U, Dhavachelvan P, Moganarangan N, Ravishankar V, Baskaran R. Non-homogeneous hidden Markov model approach for load balancing in web server farms (NH2M2-WSF). Global Conference on Communication Technologies; Thuckalay. 2015. p. 843–5.
- Mecozzi D, Minton J. Design for a transparent distributed file system. Monterey, CA, USA: Eleventh IEEE Symposium on Mass Stroage Systems, Digest of Papers. 1991; p. 77–84.
- Yu J, Wu W, Li H. DMooseFS: Design and implementation of distributed files system with distributed metadata server. Shenzhen: IEEE Asia Pacific Cloud Computing Congress (APCloudCC). 2012; p. 42–7.
- Fridrich M, Older W. Helix: The Architecture of the XMS Distributed File system. IEEE Software. 1985; 2(3):21–9.
- Zhang T, Sun XZ, Xue W, Qiao N, Huang H, Shu J, Zheng W. ParSA: High-throughput scientific data analysis framework with distributed file system. Future Generation Computer Systems. 2015; 51:111–19.
- Lanjewar U, Naik M, Tewari R. Glamor: An architecture for file system federation. IBM Journal of Research and Development. 2008; 4(5):329–39.
- Carretero J, Perez F, de Miguel F, Alonso GL. Performance increase mechanisms for parallel and distributed file systems. Parallel Computing. 1997; 23(4,5):525–42.
- Hac A. A benchmark for performance evaluation of a distributed file system. Journal of Systems and Software. 1989; 4(9):273–85.
- Hac A. A validated performance model for distributed file systems. Journal of Systems and Software. 1989; 10(3):169–85.
- Perez F, Carretero J, Garcia F, de Miguel F, Alonso L. Evaluting ParFiSys: A high-performance parallel and distributed file system. Journal of Systems Architecture. 1997; 43(8):533–42.
- Zhou X, He L. A Virtualized Hybrid Distributed File System. Beijing: Proceedings of International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery (CyberCC). 2013; p. 202–05.
- Cho JY, Jin HW, Lee M, Schwan K. Dynamic core affinity for high-performance file upload on Hadoop Distributed File System. Parallel Computing. 2014; 40(10):722–37.
- Liu T-J, Chung C-Y, Lee C-L. A high performance and low cost distributed file system. Beijing: 2011 Proceedings of IEEE 2nd International Conference Software Engineering and Service Science (ICSESS). 2011; p. 47–50.
- Hung-Chang H, Hsueh-Yi C, Haiying S, Yu-Chang C. Load Rebalancing for Distributed File Systems in Clouds. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2013; 24(5):951–62.
- Lee W, Su D, Srivastava J. QoS-based evaluation of file systems and distributed system services for continuous media provisioning. Information and Software Technology. 2000; 42(15):1021–35.
- Thanh TD, Mohan S, Choi E, Kim SB, Kim P. A Taxonomy and Survey on Distributed File Systems. Gyeongju: Procedings of 4th International Conference on Networked Computing and Advanced Information Mangement, NCM’08. 2008; p. 144–49.
- Hac A. Performance-reliability issues in distributed file systems. Journal of Systems and Software. 1986; 6(3):219–24.
- Hurley RT, Yeap SA, Wong JW, Black JP. Potential benefits of file migration in a heterogeneous distributed file system. Sudbury, Ont.: Proceedings 5th International Conference on Computing and Information, ICCI’93. 1993; p. 123–27.
- Peng H, Wang L-R, Wang J, Hagiwara I. Design and Implement of File Linked Distributed File System. Los Angeles, CA: WRI World Congress on Computer Science and Information Engineering. 2009; 7:305–09.
- Verma A, Sharma U, Rubas J, Pease D, Kaplan M, Jain R, Devarakonda M, Beigi M. An architecture for lifecycle management in very large file systems. Proceedings of 22nd IEEE/13th NASA Goddard Conference on Mass Stroage Systems and Technologies. 2005; p.160–68.
- Dwivedi K, Dubey SK. Analytical review on Hadoop Distributed file system. Noida: Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Confluence the next Generation Information Technology Summit (confluence). 2014; p. 174–81.
- Wu Y, Ye F, Chen K, Zheng W. Modeling of Distributed File Systems for Practical Performance Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2014; 25(1):156–66.
- Chen P, Li J, Gou XR. Research of distributed file system based on massive resources and application in the network teaching system. International Conference on Advanced Intelligence and Awareness Internet (AIAI 2011). 2011; p. 154–58.
- Sharma N, Irwin D, Shenoy P. A distributed file system for intermittent power. Arlington, VA: 2013 International Green Computing Conference, (IGCC). 2013; p. 1–10.
- Tseng F-H, Chen C-Y, Chou L-D, Chao H-C. Implement a reliable and secure cloud distributed file system. New Taipei: Proceedings of International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communications Systems, ISPACS. 2012; p. 227–32.
- Chu C-C, Hsu C-H. A Performance-Effective and High-Scalable Grid File System. Busan: Proceedings of International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, MUE’08. 2008; p. 460–65.
- Hiroyasu T, Minamitani Y, Miki M, Yokouchi H, Yoshimi M. Distributed PACS using distributed file system with hierarchical meta data servers. San Diego, CA: 2012 Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). 2012; p. 5891–94.
- Rani LS, Sudhakar K, Kumar SV. A Survey International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies. 2014; p. 123–256.
- Lauf AP, Peters RAL, Robinson WH. A distributed detection system for resource-constrained devices in ad-hoc networks. Ad-Hoc Networks. 2010; 8(3):253–66.
- Gharehchopogh FS, Arjang H. A Survey and Taxonomy of Leader Election Algorithms in Distributed Systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jan; 7(6):815–30.
- Kim BS, Kim TG, Song HS. Parallel and Distributed Framework for Standalone Monte Carlo Simulation using MapReduce. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(25):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.