Total views : 263
Experimental Investigation and Optimization of Process Parameters of Wire Electrical Discharge Machining Process in Cutting of Inconel 740 Alloys
Objectives: To determine optimum values of machining parameters for attaining economical and competent performance of wire EDM and analyze the observed results statistically and predict the optimal values of MRR and surface roughness. Methods/Statistical Analysis: (i) L18 orthogonal arrays of Taguchi method is adopted for experimental design and analysis of results. (ii) ANOVA technique is carried out to determine the significant cutting parameters of wire EDM, which influences the output factors. (iii) Response surface methodology has been utilized for statistical evaluation and optimization MRR and surface roughness. Findings: (i) A feasible set of cutting factors which maximizes the MRR and minimize surface roughness has been obtained through statistical analysis using RSM. (ii) It is acquired that cutting voltage is the most substantial input factor, which has the greatest impact on MRR as well as surface roughness in wire electrical discharge machining of Inconel 718. Applications/Improvements: The obtained feasible set of cutting factors could be utilized at the time of further experiments of wire electrical discharge machining of Inconel 718. The research works would be employed in aerospace, tool and die, and automobile industries in machining of nickel alloys.
Response Surface Methodology, Optimization, Taguchi Method, Wire Electrical Discharge Machining.
- Ho KH, Newman ST, Rahimifard S, Allen RD. State of art in Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM). International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacture. 2004 Oct; 44 (12):1247–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2004.04.017
- Ghodsiyeh D, Golshan A, Izman S. Multi-objective process optimization of wire electrical discharge machining based on response surface methodology. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering. 2014 Feb; 36:301–13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-013-0079-x
- Ghodsiyeh D, Golshan A, Shirvanehdeh JA. Review on current research trends in Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM). Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2013 Feb; 6(2):154–68.
- Tonday HR, Tigga AM. Analysis of effects of cutting parameters of wire electrical discharge machining on material removal rate and surface integrity. 5th National Conference on Processing and Characterization of Materials, Rourkel, India, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering.
- ; 115:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/115/1/012013
- Yan C, Zhengdong L, Godfrey A, Wei L, Yuqing W. Microstructure evolution and mechanical properties of Inconel 740H during aging at 750º C. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2014 Jan; 589:153–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2013.09.076
- Tazehkandi AH, Shabgard M, Pilehvarian F. Application of liquid nitrogen and spray mode of biodegradable vegetable cutting fluid with compressed air in order to reduce cutting fluid consumption in turning Inconel 740. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2015 Dec; 108(A):90–103.
- Zhang Z, Ming W, Huang H, Chen Z, Xu Z, Huang Y. Optimization of process parameters on surface integrity in wire electrical discharge machining of tungsten tool YG15. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2015 Nov; 81(5–8):1303–17. https://doi.org/10.1007/ s00170-015-7266-0
- Aggarwal V, Khangura SS, Garg RK. Parametric modeling and optimization for wire electrical discharge machining of Inconel 718 using response surface methodology. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2015 Jul; 79(1):31–47. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-0156797-8
- Rajyalakshmi G, Ramaiah PV. Application of Taguchi, fuzzy-grey relational analysis for process parameters optimization of WEDM on Inconel-825. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1–12. https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i35/50946
- Kung K, Chiang K. Modeling and analysis of machinability evaluation in the Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM) process of aluminum oxide-based ceramic. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2008 Mar; 23(3):241– 50. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426910701860616
- Hewidy MS, El-Taweel TA, El-Safty MF. Modelling the machining parameters of wire electrical discharge machining of Inconel 601 using RSM. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2005 Nov; 169(2):328–36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.04.078
- Patil NG, Brahmankar PK. Determination of material removal rate in wire electro-discharge machining of metal matrix composites using dimensional analysis. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2010 Nov; 51(5–8):599–610. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170010-2633-3
- Patil NG, Brahmankar PK. Some studies into wire electrodischarge machining of alumina particulate-reinforced aluminum matrix composites. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2010 May; 48(5– 8):537–55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2291-5
- Kalajahi MH, Ahmadi SR. Experimental and finite element analysis of EDM process and investigation of material removal rate by response surface methodology. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2013 Oct; 69(1):687–704. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-013-5059-x
- Giridharan A, Samuel GL. Modeling and analysis of crater formation during Wire Electrical Discharge Turning (WEDT) process. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2015 Mar; 77(5):1229–47. https:// doi.org/10.1007/s00170-014-6540-x
- Shingledecker JP, Evans ND, Pharr GM. Influences of composition and grain size on creep–rupture behavior of Inconel alloy 740. Materials Science and Engineering: A. 2013 Aug; 578:277–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2013.04.087
- Unocic KA, Shingledecker JP, Tortorelli PF. Microstructural changes in Inconel 740 after long-term aging in the presence and absence of stress. Journal of the Minerals, metals, and Materials Society. 2014 Dec; 66(12):2535–42. https:// doi.org/10.1007/s11837-014-1208-4
- A developmental Precipitation-hardenable Ni-Cr-Co superalloy for high temperature service in the automotive and power industries [Internet]. [cited 2016 Mar 20]. Available from: Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.