Total views : 224
Experimental Studies and Mathematical Modeling of Drying Wheat in Fluidized Bed Dryer
Objective: This paper presents a comparative study on the mathematical modeling of the drying characteristics of wheat grains and to estimate the suitable mathematical model of the drying behavior of the wheat at different operating parameters. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The drying experiments were performed in cylindrical fluidized bed dryer. Drying experiments were carried out with different operating parameters such as inlet air temperature (55, 60 and 65°C), air velocity (2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 m/sec) and initial moisture content of wheat (27.5, 30 and 32.5%) of total solid weight. Findings: The result of moisture content observed for various drying air temperature, velocity, and initial moisture content converted to the moisture ratio countenance with drying time at a corresponding time during their drying process. Thirteen mathematical models are compared based on their correlation coefficients, rootmean square error, mean bias error and reduced -square to estimate the drying curves with the help of the experimental data. Among different model considered, the logarithmic model presented a better agreement with the data attained from the experiments. Application/ Improvements: It is used for agricultural and pharmaceutical drying process.
Drying, Fluidized Bed Dryer, Moisture Ratio, Mathematical Model, Wheat.
- Howard JR. Fluidized bed technology: Principles and applications, fluidization TP156.F65H68, 1994: 371:231-3.
- Rao JS, Ramani NVS, Pant HJ, Reddy DN. Measurement of residence time distributions of coal particles in a Pressurized Fluidized Bed Gasifier (PFBG) using radio tracer technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Dec; 5(12). Doi no: 10.17485/ijst/2012/v5i12/30606
- Midilli A, Kucuk H, Yapar Z. A new model for single layer drying. Drying Technology. 2002; 20(7):1503–13.
- Thakur S, Raw SN, Sharma R. A mathematical model to control the transmission of thalassemia disease using pure fractions. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4). Doi no: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i4/78206
- Inaba H. Heat and mass transfer analysis of fluidized bed grain drying. Engineering Journal. 2006; 41(11):52-62.
- Wang HG, Dyakowskib T, Seniorb P, Raghavanb RS, Yanga WQ. Modeling of batch fluidized bed drying of pharmaceutical granules. Chemical Engineering Science. 2007; 62:1524–35.
- Anbazhagan R, Satheesh B, Gopalakrishnan K. Mathematical modeling and simulation of modern cars in the role of stability analysis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 May; 6(S5). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2013/v6i5S/33366
- Srinivasakannan C, Balasubramanian N. An Analysis on modelling of fluidized bed drying of granular material. Advanced Powder Technology. 2008; 19(1):73–82.
- Topuz A, Mesut Gur M, Zafer Gul Z. An experimental and numerical study of fluidized bed drying of hazelnuts. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2004; 24(10):1535–47.
- Shahraki MR, Shahraki A, Javdan N. Developing an inventory mathematical model with deterioration variables for discounted stochastic goods. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jan; 7(11). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2014/v7i11/50447.
- Gunhan T, Demir V, Hancioglu E, Hepbasli A. Mathematical modeling of drying of bay leaves. Energy Conversion and Management. 2005: 46(11-12):1667–79.
- Hayaloglu AA, Karabulut I, Alpaslan M, Kelbaliyev G. Mathematical modeling of drying characteristics of strained yoghurt in a convective type tray-dryer. Journal of Food Engineering. 2007; 78(1):109-17.
- Radhika GB, Sathyanarayana SV, Rao DG. Mathematical model on thin layer drying of finger millet (Eluesinecoracana). Journal of Food and Technology. 2011; 3(2):127-31.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.