Total views : 304
A Heuristic Approach for Phasor Measurement Units Placement in Power System
Objectives: The objective of PMU placement in power system in a cost effective way to determine a minimum set of PMU’s so that the whole system is observable. Methods/Analysis: This paper presents a simple heuristic method. The principle is based on system topology that a PMU placed at a node should not create more than one unobservable islands. In order to use this principle, a condition, defined as tree break condition is used. Findings: The results obtained with this heuristic method are placement location of PMUs, observability of system with and without zero-injections under normal operating conditions and for line outage contingency. The systems used are typical 6, 7 bus systems and IEEE 14, 30, 57 bus systems. Novelty/Improvement: The results obtained by this method are simple, optimum and efficient than the methods used previously.
Contingency, System Observability, PMU Placement, System Topology, Tree-Break Condition, Unobservable Islands.
- Throp JS, Phadke AG, Karimi KJ. Real Time Voltage-Phasor Measurements for Static State Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1985; PAS-104(11):3098–106.
- Throp JS, Phadke AG, Karimi KJ. State estimation with phasor measurements. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1986; 1(1):233–41.
- Phadke AG, Thorp JS. Synchronized Phasor Measurements and their Applications. Springer: New York, 2008.
- Krumpholz GR, Clements KA, Davis PW. Power system observability: A Practical Algorithm using Network Topology. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1980; PAS-99(4):1534–42.
- Sun R, Centeno VA. Wide Area System Islanding Contingency Detecting and Warning Scheme. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2014; 29(6):2581–89.
- Sai Subhadra A, Linga Reddy P, Modi SB. Islanding Detection in a Distribution System with Photovoltaic (PV) System as Distributed Generation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(27):1–7.
- Hashemi M, Mahdian H, Ghadimi AA. A New Method for Islanding Detection the Grid Connected Inverters in Case of Unbalanced Loads. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Aug; 6(8):5024–35.
- Mahari A, Seyedi H. Optimal PMU placement for power system observability using BICA considering measurement redundancy. Electric Power System Research. 2013;103:78–5.
- Baldwin TL, Mili L, Boisen MB, Adapa R. Power System Observability with Minimal Phasor Measurement Placement. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1993 May; 8(2):707–15.
- Gou B, Abur A. A Direct Numerical Method for Observability Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2000 May 1; 5(2):625–30.
- Rashidi F, Abiri E, et al, Optimal placement of PMUs with limited number of channels for complete topological observability of power systems under various contingencies. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems. 2015; 67:125–37.
- Nuqui RF, Phadke AG. Phasor Measurement Unit Placement Techniques for Complete and Incomplete Observability. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 2005 Oct; 20(4):2381–88.
- Chen J, Abur A. Placement of PMUs to Enable Bad Data Detection in State Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2006 Nov; 21(4):1608–15.
- SrikumarM S,Ananthapadmanbha T, et al,Line outage detection using Phasor Measurement Units Procedeia Technology, 2015, 21 pp. 88–95.
- Gou B. Generalized Integer Linear Programming Formulation for Optimal PMU Placement. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2008Aug; 23(3):1099–104.
- Gou B. Optimal Placement of PMUs by Integer Linear Programming. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2008Aug; 23(3):1525–26.
- Rather ZH, Chen Z, et al. Realistic Approach for Phasor Measurement Unit Placement: Consideration of Practical Hidden Costs, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 2015 Feb; 30(1)3–15.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.