Total views : 210
A Comparison of the Poverty and the Consumption Between Poor and Non-poor Elderly Households
Background/Objectives: Our study examines poverty ratios, characteristics of expenditure trends, determinants of both total expenditure and individual expenditure items of poor households and non-poor households among elderly households. Methods/Statistical Analysis: We use the 1st–4th Korean Retirement and Income Study as a biannual panel data, and calculate the poverty rate, which is the ratio of the number of people (in a given age group) whose income falls below the poverty line of the total population. Also we compare poor elderly households with non-poor elderly households by estimation results of a regression model. Findings: Total expenses in poor elderly households are half as much as those of non-poor households. The income increase in non-poor households shows remarkable marginal effects on consumption expenditure, but poor households do not show a statistical significance except for food, housing and utilities. Marginal effects for necessary goods in poor households are bigger than those for non- necessary goods. On the other hand, marginal effects for clothing, transportation /communication, culture and health goods in non-poor households are bigger than those for non-necessary goods. Application/Improvements: Empirical results say that it is desirable to convert ongoing integrated benefit into individual benefit in the minimum living system in the near future.
poverty ratio, consumption, poor household, non-poor household, marginal effects
- Choe HS, Lyu YG. Trends of poverty of old people and composition of poverty in Korea. Journal of Korean Gerontology Society. 2003; 23(3):143−60.
- Choi O. Factors influencing poverty of the elderly: utilizing the panel data model. Korean Academy of Social Welfare.2007; 59(1):5−25.
- Hong B. Factors influencing the economic status of the elderly in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Social Welfare. 2005; 57(4):275−90.
- Seok SH, Kim HS. Determinants of poverty in elderlyheaded households in Korea. Korean Journal of Public Finance. 2012; 5(3):99−124.
- Kim YJ, Lee CS. Effects of grit on the successful aging of the elderly in Korea. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 April; 8(7):373−78.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.