Total views : 131
Beamforming in Wireless Communication Standards: A Survey
Background/Objectives: In this paper, we have analyzed the beamforming technology and surveyed the beamforming methods used over the years in various wireless applications and how it can be improved to be implemented in future technologies. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Beamforming plays an important role in pointing an antenna to the signal source and thereby reducing interference and improving signal quality. The importance of the technology and how each standard has benefited from it has been identified. We have then provided a review of the research going into this field on how the application of the technology can be employed in the future standards to provide a better user experience. Findings: At higher frequencies, more antennas can be packed into the same physical area. The implementation of hybrid beamforming technologies in large antenna arrays in these frequencies has yielded good performance. Advanced hybrid beamforming algorithm uses both analog and digital beamforming methods and not only offers highly directional beam to overcome propagation loss, but also advanced digital domain processing such as multi beam MIMO with lesser complexity. Applications: Use of millimeter wave band for future technologies can result in the adoption of various beamforming methods in a large scale in various wireless applications.
Antenna Systems, Beamforming, Cellular Standards, Indoor Networks, Millimeter Waves.
- Gibson JD. The Communications Handbook. CRC Press; 1997.
- Mietzner J, Schober R, Lampe L, Gerstacker WH, Hoeher PA. Multiple antenna techniques for wireless communication: A comprehensive literature survey. IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials. 2009; 11(2):87–105. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2009.090207
- Tariq U. A review of scenarios and enabling technology directions for 5G wireless communications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4):1–5. https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i4/80420
- Mietzner J, Hoeher PA. Boosting the performance of wireless communication systems- Theory and practice of multiple antenna techniques. IEEE Commun Mag. 2004; 42(10):40– 7. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2004.1341259
- Geetanjali VS, Mohan T, Rao IS. Beamforming networks to feed array antennas. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(s2):78–81. https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2015/ v8iS2/58736
- Wei L, Hu RQ, Qian Y, Wu Key G. Elements to enable millimeter wave communication for 5G wireless systems. IEEE Wireless Communication. 2014.
- Godara LC. Applications of antenna arrays to mobile communication, Part I: Performance improvement, feasibility, and system considerations. Proceedings of the IEEE. 1997 Jul; 85(7):1031–60. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.611108
- Rappaport TS, Sun S, Mayzus R, Zhao H, Azar Y, Wang K, Wong G, Schulz JK, Samimi M, Gutierrez F. Millimeter wave mobile communication for 5G cellular: It will work! IEEE Access. 2013 May; 1:335–49. https://doi.org/10.1109/ ACCESS.2013.2260813
- Pi Z, Khan F. An introduction to millimeter-wave mobile broadband systems. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2011 Jun; 49:101–7. https://doi.org/10.1109/ MCOM.2011.5783993
- Balanis CA. Antenna theory: Analysis and design. John Wiley and Sons; 2005.
- Gans JS, King SP, Wright J. Wireless communication: Handbook of telecommunication economics.
- Koppenborg J, Halbauer H, Saur S, Hoek C. 3D beamforming trials with an active antenna array. Proc 16th Internet. ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA '12); 2012. p. 110–14. https://doi.org/10.1109/wsa.2012.6181190
- Diggavi SN, Al-Dhahir N, Stamoulis A, Calderbank AR. Great expectations: The value of spatial diversity in wireless networks. Proc IEEE; 2004 Feb; 92(2):219–70. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2003.821914
- Johnson DH, Dudgeon DE. Array signal processing: Concepts and techniques. Prentice Hall Processing Series; 1993.
- Kutty S, Sen D. Beamforming for millimeter wave communication: An inclusive survey. IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials. 2015.
- Montebugnoli S, Bianchi G, Cattani A, Ghelfi F, Maccaferri A, Perini. Some notes on beamforming. IRA N, 353/04.
- 3GPP. Beamforming enhancements. TR 25.887 V6.0.0 (200403), Release 6, 3GPP; 2004.
- Derryberry RT, Gray SD, Ionescu DM, Mandyam G, Raghothaman B. Transmit diversity in 3G CDMA systems. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2002 Apr; 40(4):68–75. https://doi.org/10.1109/35.995853
- Lee D, Ng WT. Beamforming system for 3G and 4G wireless LAN applications. IEEE Access. 2005 Sep; 3:137–40.
- Sindhe GR, Latha M. Interference suppression in 4G-LTE downlink through beamforming technique. ISRASE eXplore Digital Library. 2015.
- Baumgartner T, Bonek E. On the optimum number of beams for fixed beam smart antennas in UMTS FDD. IEEE Transactions IEEE Wireless Communication. 2006; 5(3):560–7. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2006.1611086 https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2006.1603971
- Ekstroem H, Furuskaer A, Karlsson J, Meyer M, Parkvall S, Torsner J, Wahlqvist M. Technical solutions for the 3G longterm evolution. IEEE Commun Mag, 2006 Mar; 44(3):38–45. https://doi.org/10.1109/ MCOM.2006.1607864
- Gotsis KA, Sahalos JN. Beamforming in 3G and 4G mobile communication: The Switched-beam approach. Recent Developments in Mobile Communications- A multidisciplinary approach. Intechweb; 2011. PMCid:PMC3148987
- Xiao Y. IEEE 802.11n: Enhancements for higher throughput in wireless LANs. IEEE Wireless Commun. 2005 Dec; 12(6):82–91.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.