Total views : 281
A Comprehensive Survey of Coverage Problem and Efficient Sensor Deployment Strategies in Wireless Sensor Networks
Objectives: To study various aspects of coverage problem and various efficient sensor deployment strategies in wireless sensors networks. Methods: In this paper we have described various coverage related issues and how an efficient deployment strategy can improve the coverage depending on the application area of interest. Findings: Coverage and Connectivity are the two critical performance metrics of a Wireless Sensor Network (WSNs) which determines the Quality of Surveillance (QoS) provided by the network. Efficient deployment of sensors is one of the fundamental issues which can improve the coverage and reduces the coverage holes of the region of interest. The objective of optimal sensor deployment is to have at least one sensor such that each point of the beleaguered region is under the observable area of any of the sensor nodes. The coverage schemes based on Voronoi diagram, Delaunay triangulation and various other schemes has been elaborated. There are many unmapped issues related to coverage problem and sensors deployment that need to be explored and studied as an open research area. Improvement: This paper presents a broad overview of the different deployment strategies and various coverage problems in wireless sensor networks. We tried to create a clear platform for the neophyte researchers so that they could have an extensive idea about the relevant field of research in wireless sensor networks.
Coverage, Deployment Strategies, Sensing Model, Wireless Sensor Networks.
- Akyildiz IF, Su W, Sankarasubramaniam Y, Cayirci E. Wireless sensor networks: A survey. Computer Networks. 2002 Mar; 38(4):393–422.
- Frieder O. Coverage in wireless ad hoc sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Computer. 2003 Jun; 52(6):753–63.
- Ghosh A, Das SK. Coverage and connectivity issues in wireless sensor networks. Mobile, Wireless, and Sensor Networks: Technology, Applications, and Future Directions. 2006 Jul; 4(3):221–56.
- Zhang H, Hou JC. Is deterministic deployment worse than random deployment for wireless sensor networks? Proceedings of 25th IEEE INFOCOM; Barcelona. 2006 Apr. p. 1–13.
- Tang Y, Birch B, Parker LE. Planning mobile sensor net deployment for navigationally-challenged sensor nodes. Proceedings of 4th ICRA; New Orlean. 2004 Apr. p. 172–9.
- Yuh-Ren T. Sensing coverage for randomly distributed wireless sensor networks in shadowed environments. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2008 Jan; 57(1):556–64.
- Liu X, Mohapatra P. On the deployment of wireless sensor nodes. Proceedings of 3rd IWMM; California. 2005 Mar. p. 294–308.
- Singh RP, Anju S. Survey on coverage problem in wireless sensor networks deployment. Wireless Personal Communication. 2015 Sep; 80(4):1475–500.
- Xu K, Hassanein H, Takahara G, Wang Q. Relay node deployment strategies in heterogeneous wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2010 Feb; 9(2):145–59.
- Jaleel H, Rahmani A. Probabilistic lifetime maximization of sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. 2013 Feb; 58(2):534–9.
- Zhu Y, Xue C, Cai H, Yu J, Ni L, Li M, Li B. On deploying relays for connected indoor sensor networks. Journal Communications and Networks. 2014 Jun; 16(3):335–43.
- Iranli A, Maleki M, Pedram M. Energy efficient strategies for deployment of a two-level wireless sensor network. Proceedings of 5th ISLPED; California. 2005. p. 233–8.
- Ganesan D, Cristescu R, Beferull-Lozano B. Power-efficient sensor placement and transmission structure for data gathering under distortion constraints. ACM Transctions on Sensor Networks. 2006 May; 2(2):155–81.
- Xin Y, Guven T, Shayman M. Relay deployment and power control for lifetime elongation in sensor networks. IEEE International Conference on Communications; 2006 Jun. p. 3461–6.
- Maleki M, Pedram M. QoM and lifetime-constrained random deployment of sensor networks for minimum energy consumption. 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks; 2005 Apr. p. 293–300.
- Li W, Zhang W. Coverage analysis and active scheme of wireless sensor networks. IET Wireless Sensor Systems. 2012 Jun; 2(2):86–91.
- Shakkottai S. Unreliable sensor grids: Coverage, connectivity and diameter. 23rd Joint Conference of IEEE Computer and Communications; 2003 Apr. p. 1073–83.
- Fletcher G, Li X, Nayak A, Stojmenovic I. Back-tracking based sensor deployment by a robot team. Proceedings of 7th SECON; Boston. 2010 Jun. p. 1–9.
- Baranidharan B, Akilandeswari N, Santhi B. EECDC: Energy Efficient Coverage Aware Data Collection in wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jul; 6(7):1–5.
- Reegan AS, Baburaj E. An effective model of the neighbor discovery and energy efficient routing method for wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(23):1–5.
- Izadi D, Abawajy J, Ghanavati S. An alternative node deployment scheme for WSNs. IEEE Sensors Journal. 2015 Feb; 15(2):667–75.
- Abbas W, Koutsoukos X. Efficient complete coverage through heterogeneous sensing nodes. IEEE Wireless Communications Letters. 2015 Feb; 4(1):14–7.
- Hossain A, Biswas PK, Chakrabarti S. Sensing models and its impact on network coverage in wireless sensor network. IEEE Region 10 and the 3rd International Conference Industrial and Information System; 2008 Dec. p. 1–5.
- Ghosh A, Das SK. Coverage and connectivity issues in wireless sensor networks: A survey. Pervasive Mobile Computing. 2008 Feb; 4(3):303–34.
- Liao Z, Zhang S, Cao SJ, Wang W, Wang J. Minimizing movement for target coverage in mobile sensor networks. Proceedings of 32nd ICDCSW; 2012 Jun. p. 194–200.
- Zhu C, Zheng C, Shu L, Han G. A survey on coverage and connectivity issues in wireless sensor networks. Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2012 Dec; 35(2):619–32.
- Xie L, Shi Y, Hou YT, Lou W. Wireless power transfer and applications to sensor networks. IEEE Wireless Communications. 2013 Aug; 20(4):140–5.
- Zhang J, Liu K, Chen Y, Xiong X, Chen L, Luo Q, Yin F, Jiang Y. Why (n + 1)th-hop neighbours are more important than nth-hop ones for localisation in multi-hop WSNs. Electrons Letters. 2014 Oct; 50(22):1646–8.
- Wang F, Wang D, Liu J. Traffic-aware relay node deployment: Maximizing lifetime for data collection wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel Distributed Systems. 2011 Aug; 22(8):1415–23.
- Mini S, Udgata SK, Sabat SL. Sensor deployment and scheduling for target coverage problem in wireless sensor networks. IEEE Sensors Journal. 2014 Mar; 14(3):636–44.
- Long JUN, Dong M, Ota K, Liu A, Hai S. Reliability guaranteed efficient data gathering in wireless sensor networks. IEEE Access. 2015 May; 3:430–44.
- Vijayan K, Raaza A. A novel cluster arrangement energy efficient routing protocol for wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–9.
- Kim K. Mountainous terrain coverage in mobile sensor networks. IET Communications. 2015 Apr; 9(5):613–20.
- Du J, Wang K, Liu H, Guo D. Maximizing the lifetime of k-discrete barrier coverage using mobile sensors. IEEE Sensors Journal. 2013 Dec; 13(12):4690–701.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.