Total views : 288
A Comparison and Benchmarking on Data Storage and Query Retrieval for Native XML Databases
Objectives: Native XML Databases (NXD) is one of the technologies for storing and retrieving XML documents. Basically, a good database should cater for efficient storage and fast retrieval. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In NXD, it creates a logical model to store and retrieve XML documents with no mapping required. In another words, the storage and retrieval operation are most optimized in its native format. Findings: NativeGine is a simulation engine to compare the performances of three existing open source native XML database products through handling several basic database operations. In distinct, Xindice, eXist and Sedna will be examined in terms of storing and query retrieval speed. Based on the results obtained, Sedna has the best performance for database creation and data insertion. Yet, eXist gains the outstanding performance on query retrieval as it has the minimum response time for all types of queries. Application/Improvements: The results generated by the engine are beneficial to aid the community to choose the appropriate database system.
Benchmarking, Database, Data Storage, Native XML Query Evaluation, Performance Evaluation.
- Meier W. eXist: An open source native XML database.International Workshop on Web-Services and Database Systems; 2002. p. 168–83.
- Grinev M, Fomichev A, Kuznetsoc S. Sedna: A Native XML DBMS. International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science; 2006. p. 272–81.
- Mabanza N, Chadwick J. A comparison of open source Native XML Database products. International Conference Advanced Communication Technology; 2013. p. 8–12.
- Kheder MQ, Rahman C, Jamal S. A comparison of concepts between Native XML and relational database systems. Asian Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences. 2015; 4(4):49–62.
- Kolar P, Loupal P. Comparison of Native XML Databases and experimenting with INEX. International Conference on Dateso; 2006. p. 116–9.
- Soujanya KML, Mathi S. Extensible Markup Language Databases: A Study. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(9):1–7.
- Fuhr N, Gvert N, Kazai G, Lalmas M. Initiative for the evaluation of XML retrieval (INEX). International Workshop Proceedings; 2003; p. 1–9.
- Alexander VDL, Darbyshire P. A benchmark comparison between Native XML and relational databases. International Conference on Information Resources Management; 2005.p. 216–9.
- Hopfner H, Schad J, Mansour E. On analyzing the database performance for different classes of XML documents based on the used storage approach. International Coference on of ICSOFT; 2009.
- Jokic S, Krco S, Vuckovic J, Gligoric N, Drajic D. Evaluation of an XML Database based resource directory performance.International Conference on Telecommunications Forum; 2011. p. 542–5.
- University of Washington XML Data Repository.Available from: http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/xmldatasets/
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.