Total views : 449
Internet of Things and its impact on Business Analytics
Objectives: To study the Impact of IoT data on Business Analytics. Methods/Statistical Analysis: An exploratory research to study the Impact of IoT data on Business Analytics was conducted. Through the Literature review process, various preliminary information on IoT and Business Analytics including the Advanced Analytics was gathered. Research papers, Journals, Internet Sites and books were used to collate the relevant content on the subject. Analysis of all the relevant examples was done. The gaps in the area of research were identified to arrive at the problem statement and its impact on Organizations. Findings: World is moving very rapidly towards the Industry 4.0, where the most impactful position in almost all the areas would be of IoT (Internet of Things). Profoundly IoT allows the connection between people and things at any point and any given place with devices that can transmit data over the network. Thus, the Smart environment evolves which consists of Smart devices transmitting the real time data over Smart networks. Business Decision Making is facilitated with a greater accuracy with real time data transmitted coupled with the relevant information. IoT and Business Analytics based on IoT data is gaining a lot of significance and importance in larger organizations. Right decision making at the right time and at the right place is the key to successful businesses in today’s dynamic environment. Application: The real time analytics becomes a reality with IoT data transmitted over the Internet and consumed by the Business Analytics. Use of Past data is to analyze and identify the hidden trends so that future predictability is built. Current data helps validate the relevancy of the Business Analytics Model. It also helps in taking some course corrections as and when required.
Advanced Analytics, Big Data, Business Analytics, Industry 4.0., Internet of Things.
- Lasi H. Berkeley: Industry 4.0, Business and Information System Engineering. 2014; 6(4):239-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12599-014-0334-4
- Kopetz H. Internet of Things, Real-Time Systems: Design Principles for Distributed Embedded Applications. 2011; 13:307-23.
- Steenstrup K, Kutnick D. Gartner, Inc.: The Internet of Things Revolution: Impact on Operational Technology Ecosystems. Gartner Research Note 3. 2015.
- Rio R, Banker S. IoT Changes Logistics for the OEM Spare Parts Supply Chain. ARC Insights 2014.
- Sundmaeker H, Guillemin P. Vision and Challenges for Realizing the Internet of Things. Cluster of European Research Projects on the Internet of Things. Brussels: European Commission - Information Society and Media DG. 2010.
- Dohr A, Osprian R, Drobics M, Hayn D, Schreier G. The Internet of Things for Ambient Assisted Living. Proceedings of Seventh International Conference on Information Technology. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/itng.2010.104
- Nolin J, Olson N. The Internet of Things and convenience.Internet Research. 2016; 26(2):360-76. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-03-2014-0082
- Khan R, Khan S, Zaheer R, Khan S. Future Internet: The Internet of Things Architecture, Possible Applications and Key Challenges. Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology. 2012 Dec 17-19. https://doi.org/10.1109/fit.2012.53
- Sagiroglu S, Gazi D. Big Data: A Review. Proceedings of International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems (CTS). 2013 May 20-24. https://doi.org/10.1109/cts.2013.6567202
- Barnett G. Harnessing Data in the Internet of Things: Strategies for managing data in a connected world. 2015.
- Shanker U. How the Internet of Things Impacts Supply Chains. Date Accessed: 06/01/2017: Available from: http:// www.inboundlogistics.com/cms/article/how-the-internetofthings-impacts-supply-chains/.
- Rajaraman A, Lescovec J, Ullman J. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: Mining of Massive Data Sets. 2011.
- Giudice M. Discovering the Internet of Things (IoT): Technology and business process management, inside and outside the innovative firms. Business Process Management Journal. 2016; 22(2):263-70. https://doi.org/10.1108/BPMJ-12-2015-0173
- Stankovic J. Research Directions for the Internet of Things: IEEE Internet of Things Journal. 2014; 1(1):3-9. https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2014.2312291
- Bose R. Advanced analytics: Opportunities and challenges, Industrial Management and Data Systems. 2009; 109(2):15572. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570910930073
- Wu S, Zhu S, Wu G, Ding W. Data Mining with Big Data. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. 2013; 26(1):97-107.
- Davenport T, Harris J. Harward Business School Press: Competing on Analytics: The new Science of Winning. 2007.
- Shanks G, Bekmamedova N. Achieving benefits with Business Analytics systems: an evolutionary process perspective. Journal of Decision Systems. 2012; 21(3):231-44. https://doi.org/10.1080/12460125.2012.729182
- Janssen A, Dijkman M, Sprenkels B, Peeters T. Business models for the Internet of Things. International Journal of Information Management. 2015; 35:672-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2015.07.008
- Emblemsvag J. Business analytics: getting behind the numbers. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. 2005; 54.
- Mashari M, Zairi M. Revisiting BPR: a holistic review of practice and development. Business Process Management Journal. 2000; 6(1):10-42. https://doi.org/10.1108/14637150010283045
- Wellers D. Is this the future of the Internet of Things? Date Accessed: 27/11/2015: Available from: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/11/is-this-future-of-the-internetof-things.
- Coetzee L, Olivrin, G. Inclusion through Internet of Things. Date Accessed: 16/03/2012: Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/assistive-technologies/inclusionthroughthe-internet-of-things.
- Gnawali O, Moss D, Clark R, Jones B, Eason W, Shirkalin D. Scaling IoT Device APIs and Analytics: Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN). Proceeding of the 15th ACM/IEEE International Conference. 2016 Apr 11 -14.
- Chui M, Loffler M, Roberts R. The Internet of Things. Mckinsey Quarterly. 2010; 2:8-9.
- Bi Z. Internet of Things for Enterprise Systems of Modern Manufacturing. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics . 2014; 10(2):1537-46. https://doi.org/10.1109/ TII.2014.2300338
- Sharma R, Mithas S, Kankanhalli A. Transforming decision-making processes: a research agenda for understanding the impact of business analytics on organizations. European Journal of Information Systems. 2014 July; 23(4):433-41. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2014.17
- Chen H, Chiang R, Storey V. Business Intelligence and Analytics: From Big Data to Big Impact. Business Intelligence Research, MIS Quarterly. 2012; 36(4):1165-88.
- LaValle S, Lesser E, Shockley R, Hopkins M, Kruschwitz N. Big Data, Analytics and the Path from Insights to Value. 2011.
- Davenport T, Harris J, Morrison R. Harward Business Press: Analytics at Work: Smarter Decisions, Better Result. 2010
- Lock M. IoT Analytics and the Value of Data Versatility. Date Accessed : 16/05/2016: Available from: http://v1.aberdeen.com/launch/report/research_report/12252-RR-iot-analytics.asp.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.