Total views : 6
Effect of Storage Time to Ferulic Acid Content in Extracted Banana Stem Waste Juice
Objectives: The present of Ferulic Acid (FA) in plants attract the attention of many researchers, especially in food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries. Banana Stem Waste (BSW) was generated from banana plantation. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this study, FA was extracted from BSW by using sugarcane press machine. Extracted BSW juice (EBJ) was characterized based on the compositions of total phenolic and glucose. The effect of storage time of EBJ was studied. Design Expert software was used for the experimental design. One factor design was applied for the factorial analysis. Findings: The FA was analyzed by using High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and FA yield ranging from 0.1101 mg/g to 0.2274 mg/g. The analysis of the results showed that storing EBJ at room temperature increased the ferulic acid yield however the ferulic acid decreased when the storage time exceed 24 hr. Application/Improvements: Effect of storage time to extracted ferulic acid concentration will be understood which in turn may be beneficial for the industrial purpose.
Banana Stem Waste, Factorial Analysis, Ferulic Acid (FA), Mechanical Extraction, Pre-Treatment Process.
- Ayala-Zavala JF, Wang SY, Wang CY, González-Aguilar GA. Effect of storage temperatures on antioxidant capacity and aroma compounds in strawberry fruit. LWT -Food Science and Technology. 2004; 37(7):687–95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2004.03.002
- Jin P, Wang SY, Wang CY, Zheng Y. Effect of cultural system and storage temperature on antioxidant capacity and phenolic compounds in strawberries. Food Chemistry. 2011; 124(1):262–70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.06.029
- Patthamakanokporn O, Puwastien P, Nitithamyong A, Sirichakwal PP. Changes of antioxidant activity and total phenolic compounds during storage of selected fruits. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. 2008; 21(3):241–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2007.10.002
- Buranov AU, Mazza G. Extraction and purification of ferulic acid from flax shives, wheat and corn bran by alkaline hydrolysis and pressurised solvents. Food Chemistry. 2009; 115(4):1542–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.food
- Aziz NAA, Ho LH, Azahari B, Bhat R, Cheng L-H., Ibrahim MNM. Chemical and functional properties of the native banana (Musa cuminata×balbisiana Colla cv. Awak) pseudo-stem and pseudo-stem tender core flours. Food Chemistry. 2011; 128(3):748–53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.03.100
- Maoulainine BM, Salem M, Boukhari O. Antioxidant proprieties of methanolic and ethanolic extracts of Euphorbia helioscopia, (L.) aerial parts. International Food Research Journal. 2012; 19(3):1125– 30.
- Shashank K, Abhay KP. Chemistry and biological activities flavonoids: An overview. The Scientific World Journal. 2013; 2013:1–16.
- Maoulainine BM, Salem M, Boukhari O. Antioxidant proprieties of methanolic and ethanolic extracts of Euphorbia helioscopia, (L.) aerial parts. International Food Research Journal. 2012; 19(3):1125–30.
- Loganayaki N, Rajendrakumaran D, Manian S. Antioxidant capacity and phenolic content of different solvent extracts from Banana (Musa paradisiaca) and Mustai (Rivea hypocrateriformis). Food Sciences Biotechnology. 2010; 19(5):1251–8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0179-7
- Sulaiman SF, Yusoff NA, Eldeen IM, Seow EM, Abu A, Sajak B, Ooi KL. Correlation between total phenolic and mineral contents with antioxidant activity of eight Malaysian bananas (Musa sp.). Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. 2011; 24(1):1–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2010.04.005
- Dai J, Mumper RJ. Plant phenolics: Extraction, analysis and their antioxidant and anticancer properties. Molecules. 2010; 15:7313–52. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecles15107313 PMid:20966876
- Oliveira L, Cordeiro N, Evtuguin DV, Torres IC, Silvestre AJD. Chemical composition of different morphological parts from "Dwarf Cavendish" banana plant and their potential as a non-wood renewable source of natural products. Industrial Crops and Products. 2007; 26(2):163–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2007.03.002
- Souza EL, Liebl GF, Marangoni C, Sellin N, Millena S. Bioethanol from fresh and dried banana plant pseudostem, Chemical Engineering Transactions. 2014; 38:271–6.
- Balg MMV, Balg MLB, Balg MIA, Yasmeen M. Saccharification of banana agro-waste by cellulolytic enzymes. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2004, 3(9):447–50. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2004.000-2088
- Vasquez AFL, Rey GAO, Rodriguez FAR. Obtaining of reducing sugars from Kikuyu grass (Pennisetum Clandestinum). AVANCES Investigacion en Ingenieria; 2010. p. 98101.
- Torre P, Aliakbarian B, Rivas B, Dominguez JM, Converti A. Release of ferulic acid from corn cobs by alkaline hydrolysis. Biochemical Engineering Journal. 2008; 40:500–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2008.02.005
- Klimczak I, Małecka M, Szlachta M, Gliszczyńska-Swigło A. Effect of storage on the content of polyphenols, vitamin C and the antioxidant activity of orange juices. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. 2007; 20(3–4):313–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2006.02.012
- Vicente JSV, Queiroz YS, Gotlieb SLD, Torres EAFd. Stability of phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity of regular and decaffeinated coffees. Brazilian Archieve of Biology and Technology. 2014; 57(1):110–18. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132014000100016
- Serea C, Barna O, Manley M, Kidd M. Effect of storage temperature on the ascorbic acid content, total phenolic content and antioxidant activity in Lettuce (Lactuca Sativa L.). The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences. 2014; 24(4):1173–7.
- Wang C, Shi L, Fan L, Ding Y, Zhao S, Liu Y, Ma C. Optimization of extraction and enrichment of phenolics from pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) leaves. Industrial Crops and Products. 2013; 42:587–94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2012.06.031
- Zafrilla P, Morillas J, Mulero J, Cayuela JM, MartinezCacha A, Pardo F, Nicholas JML. Changes during storage in conventional and ecological wine: Phenolic content and antioxidant activity. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 2003; 51:4694–700. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf021251p PMid:14705898
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.