Total views : 187
A CFD Investigation of Mixing Profiles within a Micro-Coiled Flow Inverter
Background/Objectives: Due to the low Reynolds number (Re) in microfluidic domain, the predominant laminar flow might inhibit effective mixing in micro-Coiled Flow Inverter (mCFI). Fluid dynamics within the mCFI was simulated with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software to investigate the mixing profile. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Fluid flow was simulated with the software FLUENT with Species Transport (ST) setting, to replicate the mixing of two water bodies. Geometry of the mCFI was designed with a tubing diameter of 0.5 mm and curvature ratio of λ = 10. Fluid flow rate was adjusted to attain 25≤ Re ≤ 250. Findings: A mixing time of 0.59s was achieved with Re = 250. However complete mixing was still achievable even in Re = 25 albeit with a longer mixing time. Application/Improvements: Flow inversion is improved the mixing condition in micro-structured tubing, in enhancement of the diffusive mixing in microfluidics.
Flow Inversion and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Micro-Coiled Flow Inverter (Mcfi), Reynolds Number.
- Mridha M, Nigam KD. Coiled flow inverter as an inline mixer. Chemical Engineering Science. 2008; 63(6):1724-32. Crossref
- Kumar V, Mridha M, Gupta AK, Nigam KD. Coiled flow inverter as a heat exchanger. Chemical Engineering Science. 2007 May; 62(9):2386-96. Crossref
- Kumar V, Aggarwal M, Nigam KD. Mixing in curved tubes. Chemical Engineering Science. 2006; 61(17):5742-53. Crossref
- Kumar V, Nigam KD. Numerical simulation of steady flow fields in coiled flow inverter. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2005; 48(23):4811-28. Crossref
- Mandal MM, Aggarwal P, Nigam KD. Liquid–liquid mixing in coiled flow inverter. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 2011; 50(23):13230-5. Crossref
- Singh J, Kockmann N, Nigam KD. Novel three-dimensional microfluidic device for process intensification. Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification. 2014; 86:78-89. Crossref
- Kurt SK, Gelhausen MG, Kockmann N. Axial dispersion and heat transfer in a milli/microstructured coiled flow inverter for narrow residence time distribution at laminar flow. Chemical Engineering and Technology. 2015; 38(7):1122-30. Crossref
- Kurt SK, Gursel IV, Hessel V, Nigam KD, Kockmann N. Liquid– liquid extraction system with microstructured coiled flow inverter and other capillary setups for single-stage extraction applications. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2016; 15(284):764-77. Crossref
- FluidChe 2017 official website. Available from: Crossref
- The Center of Excellence for Advanced Research in Fluid Flow (CARIFF). Available from: Crossref
- Ranganathan B, Gimbun J, Gajendran N. Fluid dynamics. International Conference on Fluids and Chemical EngineeringFluidChE; Malaysia. 2017. p. 1-5
- University Malaysia Pahang. Available from: Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.