Total views : 51
Control Topologies for 3-Phase SEIG used in Small Hydro Power Plant Feeding Isolated Domestic Load in Remote Mountainous Region
Objectives: This paper is to highlight the various control topologies used in 3-phase Self-Excited Induction Generator (SEIG) used in pico-hydro power generation system feeding isolated load. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The various topologies of these controllers which are also known as Electronic Load Controllers (ELC) include conventional as well as STATCOM based controllers using various power electronics devices for power system parameters regulations and power quality control. The Self-excited induction generators are most suitable for pico and micro hydro power generation systems feeding isolated load due to their advantages over conventional synchronous generators. Findings: In isolated mode of operation of self-excited induction generators, a suitable control is necessary to maintain the voltage & frequency of the generated output within permissible limits under varying loading conditions. This is achieved by using an Electronic Load Controller (ELC) and dump load in the system. The main aim of the control strategy is to control the voltage output of SEIG and to maintain the desired frequency of the generated output. These electronic load controllers regulate the dump load in the system so that total load seen by SEIG remains constant under varying consumer load conditions and thus maintaining the frequency of the system. From the analysis of various types of these controllers, it is found that simplest of the electronic load controller is conventional diode rectifier based ELC. However, it suffers with the problems of harmonics in the circuit. Modern ELCs use voltage source converters along with different transformer configurations for better power quality control and better voltage and frequency regulations under different operating conditions. Improvements: Fast computational capabilities of DSP are also used to control the STATCOM switches and chopper circuit in ELC for better and fast control. The use of different transformer configurations such as star-delta and zigzag type provide neutral path for 3-phase, 4-wire system apart from eliminating the 3rd harmonics in the system.
Electronic Load Controller, Pico-Hydro, Power Quality, Self-Excited Induction Generator, Voltage & Frequency Control
- Simoes MG, Farret FA. Alternate Energy Systems: Design and Analysis with Induction Generators. 2nd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2008.
- Bansal RC. Three-phase self-excited induction generators: an overview. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion.2005; 20(2):292–9. Crossref
- Chan TF. Capacitance requirements of self-excited induction generators. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion.1993; 8(2):304–11. Crossref
- Suarez E, Bortolotto G. Voltage-frequency control of a self excited induction generator. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 1999; 14(3):394–401. Crossref
- Singh B, Murthy SS, Gupta S. Analysis and design of STATCOM-based voltage regulator for self-excited induction generators. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion.2004; 19(4):783–90. Crossref Crossref
- Ramirej JM, Torres E. An electronic load controller for self-excited induction generator. Proceedings of IEEE PES; 2007. p. 1–8.
- Rathore UC, Singh S. Isolated 3-phase self-excited induction generator in pico-hydro power plant using water pump load in mountainous region of Himalayas. Proceedings of 2014 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference South Asia Satellite (GHTC-SAS); 2014. p. 40–4.
- Singh B, Kasal GK. Voltage and frequency controller for isolated asynchronous generators feeding 3-phase 4-wire loads. Proceedings of IEEE ICIT’06; 2006. p. 2773–8.Crossref
- Singh B, Kasal GK. Analysis and design of voltage and frequency controllers for isolated asynchronous generators in constant power applications. Proceedings of IEEE PEDES’06; 2006. p. 1–7. Crossref
- Singh B, Kasal GK, Gairola S. Power Quality Improvement in Conventional Electronic Load Controller for an Isolated Power Generation. IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion.2008; 23(3):764–73. Crossref
- 11. Rajagopal V, Singh B. Improved electronic load controller for off grid induction generator in small hydro power generation. Proceedings of IEEE IICPE’10; 2011. p.1–7.
- Kasal GK, Singh B. Zigzag transformer based electronic load controller for an isolated asynchronous generator.Proceedings of IEEE PECON; 2008. p. 431–6.
- Scherer LG, Tambara RV, Camargo RF. Voltage and frequency regulation of standalone self-excited induction generator for micro-hydro power generation using discrete-time adaptive control. IET Renew. Power Gener. 2016; 10(4):531–40.Crossref
- Jayaprakash P. Singh, B, Kothari, DP. 2011. Digital Signal Processor Implementation of Isolated Reduced-rating Voltage Source Converter Using a Zigzag Transformer for 3-phase 4--wire Distribution Static Compensator. International Journal on Electric Power Components and Systems. 2011; 39(1):15–30. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.