Total views : 10122
A Study on Impact of HRM Practices and Policies on Employee's Organisational Commitment in Textile Spinning Mills in Tamil Nadu, India
The Indian textile sector plays key role through its support to industrial output and export earnings to the country. The main objective of this paper is to determine an impact of Human Resource Management (HRM) practices and policies on employee's organizational commitment in textile spinning mills in Tamil Nadu, India. The present study uses descriptive and explanatory approach, the data collected through distribution of close-ended questionnaire among 100 employees working in five prominent textile spinning mills in Tamil Nadu, India. The data also collected from secondary sources like journals, newspaper, working papers, thesis, etc. The data collected was tested the frequency (descriptive analysis) and correlation and 't' test, to establish the causality between HRM practices and organizational commitment. As per the finding, out of five HRM practices, training and development, welfare activities and compensation&benefits have emerged as the best practices in impacting organizational commitment. Findings from the study recommend that in order to improve the organizational commitment, the compensation should be improved, promotions should be introduced, and the supervisors should encourage the participation of employee training programs.
HRM Practices, Indian Textile Industry, Organizational Commitment.
- Allen NJ, Meyer JP. Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization: An examination of construct validity. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 1996 Dec; 49(3): 252–76. CrossRef. PMid:8980084
- Kinnie N, Hutchinson S, Purcell J, Rayton B, Swart J. Satisfaction with HR practices and commitment to the organisation: why one size does not fit all. Human Resource Management Journal. 2005 Nov; 15(4): 9–29. CrossRef.
- Ministry of Textiles.Textile Sector Profile.
- Jones TF. Location: Every Door Direct Mail finds the customers who matter most. The Costco Connection. 2013 Aug;p. 24–5.
- Quresh TM, Akbar A, Khan MA, Sheikh RA. Do human resource management practices have an impact on financial performance of banks ?. African Journal of Business Management. 2010 July; 4(7): 1281–88.
- Brammer S, Millington A. The Contribution of Corporate Social Responsibility to Organisational Commitment. International Journal Human Resource Management. 2007 Oct; 18(10): 1701–19. CrossRef.
- Manetje O, Martins N. The relationship between organisational culture and organisational commitment. South. African Business Review. 2009; 13(1): 87–111.
- Pare G, Tremblay M. The influence of high-involvment human resource practices, procedural justice, organizational commitment and citizenship behaviors on information technology turnover intentions. Group and Organic Management. 2007 June; 32(3): 326–57. CrossRef.
- Manikandan S. Tamil Nadu Powerloom Industry Issues and Challenges (A Critical Study), Int. Res. J., 2010; 1 (10): 74–6.
- Loganathan C, Valarmathi A. A study on effectiveness of HR practices and policies on job satisfaction with reference to textile industries in Tamil Nadu, India. International Journal Management Social Science. 2015 Nov; 3(11): 168– 180.
- Fayza Z. A case study of human resource practices in a public sector silk factory in Kashmir. International Journal Business Management Invention. 2012 Dec; 1(1): 56–64.
- Malagi AK, Chachadi AH. Innovative HR practices to improve socio-economic conditions of women workers in garment industry-An Empirical Study. IOSR Journal Business Management. II. 2013 Mar-Apr; 9(6): 16–21. CrossRef.
- Mittar S, Mathew SK. Human resource factors influencing employee performance in garment manufacturing firms (GMF) in Delhi/NCR. Journal Business Economic. 2014 July; 5(7): 990–1002.
- Devi R, Bharathi N. Employees' engagement practices in spinning mills – An Empirical Study. Journal Contemp. Res. Manag. 2009 April-June; 4(2): 42–59.
- Bhalla S, Sidhu S, Impact of the HRM practices on organizational commitment of managerial employees in the textile industry. Journal Management. 2014; 9(1): 41–7.
- Kaur R. A study of human resource practices of employees in manufacturing industry. International Monthly Referred Journal Research Management Technology. 2014; 3(2): 40–4.
- Hassan S, Mahmood B. Relationship between HRM practices and organizational commitment of employees : An empirical study of textile sector in Pakistan. International Journal Acadamic Residence Accounting, Financial Management Science. 2016 Jan; 6(1): 23–8.
- Kamalakannan P. Human resources management practices and organisational commitment in textile industry. Asian Journal Residual Social Science. Humanit. 2016 Aug; 6(8): 1492–95.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.