Total views : 100
Wear Characterization of High Temperature Oxidized Ni Based Superalloys
Objectives: Present manuscript deals with the study of wear performance of nickel superalloys namely Superni-76 and Superni750-X, by means of two bodies dry sliding wear method. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The wear performance of the superalloys was noted in as received conditions and after oxidizing the sample at 900°C for 50 hours. Hardened steel balls were used as abrasive body to evaluate the wear volume in each as received and oxidized samples. Findings: The wear volume was calculated with respect to time and sliding distance and graphs were plotted for both the superalloys. The weight change and types of oxides formed after oxidation were identified by XRD and EDX/EDS analysis. The wear surface was also characterised by using FE-SEM/EDS analysis to ascertain the mechanism of wear in the samples. From various characterisation results and observations of volume loss, the effect of oxidation was analysed for these superalloys. Oxidation affects the wear behaviour of nickel based superalloys. The wear mechanism changes due to increase in hardness and brittleness after high temperature exposure. Application/Improvements: It has been found that the oxidation phenomenon leads to the formation of very fine oxide scale on the superalloys. This oxide layer especially in case of Hastelloy-X (Superni-76) was responsible for the improvement in the wear resistance despite of some initial fast volume loss.
Oxidation, Superalloys, Tribology, Wear.
- Reed RC. Superalloys: Fundamental and Applications. Cambridge University Press New York; 2006. p. 22–4. Crossref
- Das N. Advances in nickel-based cast superalloys. Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals. 2010; 63(2):265–74. Crossref
- Muktinutalapati NR. Materials for Gas Turbines–An Overview in Advances in Gas Turbine Technology; 2011. p. 293–314.
- Schilke PW. Advanced Gas Turbine Materials and Coatings; 1995. p. 1–30.
- Panagopoulos CN, Giannakopoulos KI, Saltas V. Wear behavior of nickel superalloy. CMSX-186 Materials Letters. 2003; 57:4611–6. Crossref
- Mishra SB, Chandra K, Prakash S. Dry sliding wear behaviour of nickel-iron-and cobalt-based superalloys. Tribology. 2013; 7:122–9. Crossref
- Varela A, Garcıa A, Mier JL, Barbadillo F, Camba C. Tribological Behavior of Hastelloy C and Refractalloy 26. ISRN Mechanical Engineering; 2011. p. 5.
- Kovacı H, Ghahramanzadeh ASLH, Albayrak C, Alsaran A. Wear properties of plasma nitrided INCONEL 718 superalloy. 13th International Conference on Plasma Surface Engineering; Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany; 2012. p. 1–5.
- Jegadeeswaran N, Udaya BK, Ramesh MR. Wear studies on wrought and heat treated Nimonic Titanium and Superco. International Journal of Applied Sciences and Engineering Research. 2012; 1:106–17.
- Stott FH, Lin DS, Wood GC. The structure and mechanism of formation of the glaze oxide layers produced on nickelbased alloys during wear at high temperatures. Corrosion Science. 1973; 13:449–69. Crossref
- Inman IA, Datt S, Du HL, Burnell-Gray JS, Luo Q. Microscopy of glazed layers formed during high temperature sliding wear at 750°C. Wear. 2003; 254:461–7. Crossref
- Kear BH, Pettit FS, Fornwalt DE, Lemaire, LP. On the transient oxidation of the Ni-15Cr-6Al alloy. Oxidation of Metals. 1971; 3:557–69. Crossref
- Kamal S, Jayaganthan R, Prakash S. High temperature cyclic oxidation and hot corrosion behaviours of superalloys at 900°C. Bulletin Mater Science. 2010; 33:299–306. Crossref
- Sidhu TS, Prakash S, Agrawal RD. Cyclic oxidation behavior of Ni- and Fe-based superalloys in air and Na2SO4-25% NaCl molten salt environment at 800°C. International Journal Physical Science. 2006; 1:27–33.
- Tawancy HM, Al-HadhramiLuai M. Influence of Titanium in Nickel-Base Superalloys on the Performance of Thermal Barrier Coatings Utilizing γ-γ’ Platinum Bond Coats. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. 2010; 133(4):6.
- Yang SW. Effect of Ti and Ta on the Oxidation of a Complex Superalloy. Oxidation of Metals. 1981; 15:375–97. Crossref
- Abe F, Araki H, Yoshida H, Okada M. The Role of Aluminum and Titanium on the Oxidation Process of a NickelBase Superalloy in Steam at 800°C. Oxidation of Metals. 1987; 27(1):21–36. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.