Total views : 32
A Hybrid GA-FEEMD for Forecasting Crude Oil Prices
Forecasting crude oil prices is essential but usually involves a difficult process. In this paper, we proposed a hybrid Genetic Algorithm and Fast Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition (GA-FEEMD) for forecasting crude oil price time series data. The proposed GA-FEEMD basically involves three steps. Firstly, we decomposed the original crude oil price time series data into two Intrinsic Mode Functions (IMFs) using FEEMD algorithm. Then, we forecasted the second IMF which basically is the intrinsic trend of the crude oil prices. Then, we applied Genetic Algorithm (GA) to obtain the stopping criterion in the FEEMD process. The hybrid GA-FEEMD forecasting model was compared with ARIMA and Artificial Neural Network methods. The results showed that the proposed GA-FEEMD model improved the forecasting accuracy of the crude oil price time series data.
Crude Oil Price Forecast, Fast Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition (FEEMD), Genetic Algorithm (GA) and Hybridization
- Alvarez-Ramirez J, Rodriguez E, Martina E and Ibarra-Valdez C. Cyclical behavior of crude oil markets and economic recessions in the period 1986–2010. Technological Forecasting Social Change. 2012; 79:47–58. Crossref
- Zhang YJ. Speculative trading and WTI crude oil futures price movement: an empirical analysis. Applied Energy. 2013; 107:394–402. Crossref
- Zhang YJ and Wang ZY. Investigating the price discovery and risk transfer functions in the crude oil and gasoline futures markets: some empirical evidence. Applied Energy. 104:220–8. Crossref
- Bekirosa S, Gupta R and Paccagnini A. Oil price forecasting and economic uncertainty. Economics. Letters. 2015; 132: 125–8. Crossref
- Mohammadi H and Su L. International evidence on crude oil price dynamics: Applications of ARIMA-GARCH models. Energy Economics. 2010; 32(5):1001–8. Crossref
- Gupta R and Kotze K. The role of oil prices in the forecasts of South African interest rates: A Bayesian approach. Energy Economics. 20174; 61:270–8. Crossref
- Gupta R and Wohar M. Forecasting oil and stock returns with a Qual VAR using over 150 years off data. Energy Economics. 2017; 62:181–6. Crossref
- Chen Y, Zou Y, Zhou Y and Zhang C. Multi-step-ahead crude oil price forecasting based on Grey Wave forecasting method. Procedia Computer Science. 2016; 91:1050–6. Crossref
- Movagharnejad K, Mehdizadeh B, Banihashemi M and Kordkheili MS. Forecasting the differences between variouscommercial oil prices in the Persian Gulf region by neural network. Energy. 2011; 36(7):3979–84. Crossref
- Xie W, Yu L, Xu S. and Wang S. A new method for crude oil price forecasting based on Support Vector Machines. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2006; 3996:444–51. Crossref
- Gao S and Lei Y.A new approach for crude oil price prediction based on stream learning. Geoscience Frontiers.2017; 8(1):183–7. Crossref
- Xiong T, Bao Y and Hu Z. Beyond one-step-ahead forecasting: Evaluation of alternative multi-step-aheadforecasting models for crude oil prices. Energy Economics. 2013; 40:405–15. Crossref
- Yu L, Wang Z and Tang L. A decomposition-ensemble model with data-characteristic-driven reconstruction for crude oil price forecasting. Applied Energy. 2015; 156:251– 67. Crossref
- Yu L, Dai W and Tang L. A novel decomposition ensemble model with extended extreme learning machine for crude oil price forecasting. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 2016; 47:110–21. Crossref
- Box GEP and Jenkins GM. Time Series Analysis, Forecasting and Control. 3rd Ed. Holden-Day:California; 1970.
- Keskin ME and Terzi O. Artificial neural network models of daily pan evaporation. Journal Hydrology Engineering.2006; 11:65–70. Crossref
- Huang NE, Shen Z and Long SR. The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for non-linear and non-stationary time series analysis. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. 1998; 454:903–95. Crossref
- Wu Z and Huang NE. Ensemble empirical mode decomposition: A noise-assisted data analysis method. Advances in Adaptive Data Analysis. 2009; 1(1):1–41. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.