Total views : 1232
3D Analysis of an Irregular-Geometry Foundation under the Effects of an Expansive Soil
The expansive soil effect generates, first of all volumetric variation which causes changes in the soil's profile. The expansion pressure starts on the inside of the expansive soil mass as humidity increases, and, as a consequence, the tendency to increase its volume also increases. A 3-D analysis of an irregular-geometry plate foundation subject to expansive effects is presented. The analysis involves the soil's response and is represented by link bearings. The expansion effects are transmitted by the links to the foundation based on prescribed displacements with the shape of a paraboloid. The study herein developed considers the 3-D behavior of an irregular slab foundation; it focuses on the structural implications over the plate foundation due to expansive phenomenon. Commonly the solutions developed do not cover the 3-D implications of the whole phenomenon and the stiffness properties of an irregular plate foundation. The treatment covered in this study allows us to get more realistic results of the stress-strain state of plate foundations than the ones obtained through 2D models. The expansion effects generally have a random character because the place where they will occur cannot be certainly predicted, the proposed procedure It has the feasibility of rapidly studying cases of expansion occurring in the plate foundation, generating a versatile interaction with the user of the program developed for this purpose.
Expansive Soil, Computer Modeling, Finite Element Analysis, Winkler Model, Contact Pressure
- ANSYS Inc. (2009) Software, ver. 1. Canonsburgh PA, USA.
- Cook RD, Malkus DS and Plesha ME (1988) Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis. John Wiley and Sons. Inc. NY.
- Fredlund M, Stianson J, Vu H and Thode RC (2006) Numerical modeling of slab-on-grade foundation. Unsaturated soils. Geotechnical Special publication. 147(2) ASCE, USA.
- Gurtin M (1981) An Introduction to continuum mechanics. Academic Press, USA.
- Horta Rangel J, Zepeda Garrido A, Rojas Gonzalez E, Lopez Lara T, Perez Rea L and Hernandez Zaragoza J (2011) IJCE (corresponded).
- Hung V and Fredlund D (2000) Volume Changes Predictions in Expansive Soils Using a Two-Dimensional Finite Element Method. Unsaturated Soils for Asia, Rahardjo, Tool & Leong (eds). Balkema, Rotterdam.
- Li J (2006) Two dimensional simulation of a stiffened slab on expansive soil subject to a leaking underground water pipe. Numerical modeling of slab-on-grade foundation. Unsaturated Soils. Geotechnical Special Publication. 147(2) ASCE, USA.
- Lytton RL and Kher RK (1984) Prediction of moisture movement in expansive clays. Cent. Highw Res, Univ. Texas. Res. Rep. 118-3, Austin.
- Mills K (2000) A numerical model of ground moisture variations with active vegetation. Unsaturated Soils for Asia, Rahardjo, Tool & Leong (eds). Balkema, Rotterdam.
- Mitchel PW (1980) The structural analysis of footings on expansive soil. Proc. Fourth Intl. Conf. on Expansive Soils. Vol.2, Denver (Ed.), John Wiley & Sons Inc., Colorado.
- NTCRCDF (2010) Normas técnicas complementarias del reglamento de construcciones del distrito federal. Berbera Editores Mexico.
- Selvadurai AP (1979) Elastic analysis of soil-foundation Interaction, Elsevier, NY, USA.
- Zepeda A (2006) Mecanica de suelos no saturados. Ed. Sociedad Mexicana de Mecanica de Suelos A. C. Maxico.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.