Total views : 644
A Low-Power Hybrid Multiplication Technique for Higher Radix Hard Multiples Suppression
This paper presents a low-power higher radix multiplication algorithm based on Radix-16 32×32 bit Modified Booth Encoder (MBE). Hard multiples are the major factors for power consumption in higher radix MBE. This paper introduces the design of a Hybrid Multiplication Technique (HMT) to suppress the hard multiples that exist in a Radix-16 32×32 bit MBE. The proposed HMT uses Radix-8 and Radix-4 encoding technique along with Radix-16 to avoid the hard multiples. Experimental results based on Synopsys SDK 90nm, 1.32V standard-cell library show that the proposed HMT reduces power consumption up to 25% and 21% in comparison with conventional Radix-16 and Radix-8 MBE respectively. HMT equipped Radix-16 MBE also gives better performance than existing techniques with respect to frequency and power.
Hard Multiples, Higher-Radix Modified Booth Multiplier, Low-Power, Slack, Synthesis
- Rubinfield LP. A proof of the modified Booth’s algorithm for multiplication. IEEE Transactions on Computers.1975 Oct;24(10):1014–15.
- Villeger D, Oklobdzija VG. Analysis of Booth encoding efficiency in parallel multipliers using compressors for reduction of partial products. Proceedings of IEEE 27th Asilomar Conference on Computer Systems and Signals;Pacific Grove, USA. 1993 Nov. p. 781–4.
- Villeger D, Oklobdzija VG. Evaluation of Booth encoding techniques for parallel multiplier implementation. Electronics Letters. 1993 Nov; 29(23):2016–7.
- Wang L-R, et al. A well-structured modified Booth multiplier design. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on VLSI Design Automation and Test; Hsinchu, Taiwan. 2008 Apr. p. 85–8.
- Muralidharan R, Chang CH. Fast hard multiple generators for radix-8 Booth encoded modulo 2n−1 and modulo 2n+1 multipliers. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems; Paris, France. 2010 Jun. p. 717–20.
- Sangjin H, et al. Low power parallel multiplier design for DSP applications through coefficient optimization. Proceedings of 12th Annual IEEE International ASIC/SOC Conference;Washington, DC, USA. 1999 Sep. p. 286–90.
- Hsu SK, et al. A 110 GOPS/W 16-bit multiplier and reconfigurable PLA loop in 90-nm CMOS. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits. 2006 Jan; 41(1):256–54.
- Cherkauer BS, Friedman EG. A hybrid radix-4/radix-8 low power, high speed multiplier architecture for wide bit widths.Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems; 1996 May; Atlanta, GA, USA;P. 53–56.
- Yeh WC, Jen CW. High-speed Booth encoded parallel multiplier design. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2000 Jul;49(7):692–701.
- Wang LR, et al. A well-structured modified Booth multiplier design. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium onVLSI Design Automation and Test; Hsinchu, Taiwan. 2008 Apr. p. 85–8.
- Muralidharan R, Chip CH. Hard multiple generator for higher radix modulo 2n-1 multiplication. Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Integrated Circuits, Suntec Singapore International Convention and Exhibition Centre; Singapore, Singapore. 2009 Dec. p. 546–9.
- Wang JP, et al. High-accuracy fixed-width modified Booth multipliers for Lossy applications. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems. 2011 Jan; 19(1):52–60.
- Pezaris SD. A 40-ns 17-bit by 17-bit array multiplier. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 1971 Mar; 20(4):442–7.
- Min AS et al. A generalized methodology for low-error and area-time efficient fixed-width Booth multipliers. Proceedings of 47th IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems; Hiroshima, Japan. 2004 Jul. p. 9–12.
- Gary WB. Fast multiplication: algorithms and implementation [Phd Thesis]. California, United States: Stanford University;1994.
- Huang Z, Ercegovac MD. High-performance low-power left-to-right array multiplier design. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2005 Mar; 54(3):272–83.
- Roorda M. Method to reduce the sign bit extension in a multiplier that uses the modified booth algorithm. Electronic Letters. 1986 Sep; 22(20):1061–2.
- Chen, et al. Minimization of switching activities of partial products for designing low-power multipliers. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems.2003 Jun; 11(3):418–33.
- Kuang SR, Wang JP. Design of power-efficient configurable Booth multiplier. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems.2010 Mar; 57(3):568–80.
- Chen JW Yao RH. Efficient modulo 2n+1 multipliers for diminished-1 representation. IET Circuits Devices Systems I.2010; 4(4):291–300.
- Vassil SD, et al. Area-efficient multipliers based on multipleradix representations. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2011 Feb; 60(2):189.
- Nandal A, Vigneswaran T, Rana AK. Booth multiplier using reversible logic with low power and reduced logical complexity. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Apr; 7(4):525–9.
- Meng X, et al. A novel active decoupling capacitor design in 90nm CMOS. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems; Washington, USA. 2007 May. p. 657–60.
- Vignesh B, Sridhar KP, Parameshwaran R. Pipelined quadratic equation based novel multiplication method for cryptographic applications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. Apr 2014; 7(4S):34–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.