Total views : 1022
In Vitro α-Glucosidase Inhibition and Antioxidant Activity of Walsura trifoliata (A. Juss.) Harms
Walsura trifoliata is being used in traditional system of medicine with scant scientific documentation. This report is an attempt to provide laboratory findings in support of its traditional use. The crude extract of the root prepared with the solvent systems hexane, ethyl acetate and methanol were used separately for its μ-glucosidase inhibition, phenolic contents, reducing ability assay and antioxidant activities. The antioxidant property of the crude extracts were tested using DPPH Radical Scavenging Assay, Hydroxyl Radical Scavenging Assay, Nitric Oxide Radical Inhibition Assay, Superoxide Scavenging Activity, Inhibition of Lipid Peroxidation and Ferric Reducing Antioxidant Power. Among the solvent preparations, the methanol extract of the root of Walsura trifoliata showed the maximum inhibitory activity for α-glucosidase inhibition with the IC50 value 690 ± 1.44 μg/ml. The IC50 value for the methanol extract in DPPH Radical Scavenging Assay was 620 ± 1.99 μg/ml. Among all the parameters studied, methanol extract showed the maximum activity while minimum activity was recorded in hexane extract.
Walsura trifoliata, α–Glucosidase Inhibition, Antioxidant, Medicinal Plant.
- Ramkumar K M, Manjula C et al. (2009). Potential in vitro antioxidant and protective effects of Gymnema montanum H. on alloxan-induced oxidative damage in pancreatic b-cells, HIT-T15, Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol 47(9), 2246-2256.
- Kumar V P, Shashidhara S et al. (2000). Effect of Luffa echinata on lipid peroxidation and free radical scavenging activity, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol 52(7), 891-894.
- Auddy B, Ferreira M et al. (2003). Screening of antioxidant activity of three Indian medicinal plants, traditionally used for the management of neurodegenerative diseases, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol 84(2-3), 131-138.
- Hepsibha T B, Sathiya S et al. (2010). In vitro studies on antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of Azima tetracantha Lam leaf extracts, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, vol 3(5), 571-577.
- Madhu C G, and Devi D B (2000). Protective antioxidant effect of vitamins C and E in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol 38(2), 101-104.
- Sabu M, and Kuttan R (2002). Anti-diabetic activity of medicinal plants and its relationship with their antioxidant property, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol 81(2), 155-160.
- Christhudas I V S N, Kumar P P P et al. (2013). In vitro studies on á-glucosidase inhibition, antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of Hedyotis biflora L, Food Chemistry, vol 138(2-3), 1689-1695.
- Saxena R, Venkaiah K et al. (2007). Antioxidant activity of commonly consumed plant foods of India: contribution of their phenolic content, International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol 58(4), 250-260.
- Kochhar K P (2008). Dietary spices in health and diseases: I, Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol 52(2), 106-122.
- Adesegun A S, Emmanuel Anyika N et al. (2012). Antibacterial and antioxidant investigations of Hallea ledermannii leaf extract, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, vol 5(1), 1885-1887.
- C.S.I.R (2005). The Wealth of India, A Dictionary of Indian Raw Materials and Industrial Products-Raw Materials, vol X, C.S.I.R., New Delhi, 562.
- Murthy K S R, and Kandimalla (2008). Antimicrobial spectrum and phytochemical study of Walsura trifoliata (A.Juss.) Harms. (Meliaceae) bark extracts, Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol 3(4), 267-271.
- Dahlqvist A (1964). Method for assay of intestinal disaccharidases, Analytical Chemistry, vol 7(16), 18-25.
- Slinkard K, and Singleton V L (1977). Total phenol analyses: automation and comparision with manual methods, American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, vol 28(1), 49-55.
- Oyaizu M (1986). Studies on product of browning reaction prepared from glucose amine, Japan Journal of Nutrition, vol 44(6), 307-315.
- Hanato T, Kagawa H et al. (1988). Two new flavonoids and other constituents in licorice root: their relative astringency and radical scavenging effects, Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol 36(6), 2090-2097.
- Elizabeth K, and Rao M N A (1990). Oxygen radical scavenging activity of curcumin, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol 58(3), 237-240.
- Garratt D C (1964). The Quantitative Analysis of Drugs, vol 3, Chapman and Hall Ltd., Japan, 456-458.
- Liu F, Ooi V E C et al. (1997). Free radical scavenging activities of mushroom polysaccharide extracts, Life Sciences, vol 60(10), 763-771.
- Yen G C, and Hsieh C L (1998). Antioxidant activity of extracts from Du-zhong (Eucommia urmoides) towards various peroxidation models in vitro, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol 46(10), 3952-3957.
- Benzie I E F, and Strain J J (1996). The Ferric Reducing Ability of Plasma (FRAP) as a measure of antioxidant power, the FRAP assay, Analytical Biochemistry, vol 239(1), 70-76.
- Rose W M, Creighton M O et al. (1972). In vivo effects of vitamin E on cataractogenesis in diabetic rats, Canadian Journal of Ophtalmology, vol 17(2), 61-66.
- Sunil C, and Ignacimuthu S (2011). In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activity of Symplocos cochinchinensis S. Moore leaves containing phenolic compounds, Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol 49(7), 1604-160.
- Rice-Evans C A, Miller N J et al. (1996). Structure- antioxidant activity relationship of flavonoids and phenolic acids, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol 20, 933-956.
- Pietta P G (2000). Flavonoids as antioxidants, Journal of Natural Products, vol 63(7), 1035-1042.
- Formico J V, and Regelson W (1995). Review of the biology of quercetin and related bioflavonoids, Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol 33(12), 1061-1080.
- Wen-Yi K, Yan-Li S et al. (2011). α-Glucosidase inhibitory and antioxidant properties and antidiabetic activity of Hypericum ascyron L, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry Research, vol 20(7), 809-816.
- Nitin K U, Kumar Y M S et al. (2010). Antioxidant, cytoprotective and antibacterial effects of Sea buck thorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) leaves, Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol 48(12), 3443-3448.
- Meir S, Kanner J et al. (1995). Determination and involvement of aqueous reducing compounds in oxidative defense systems of various senescing leaves, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol 43(7), 1813-1817.
- Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier M E et al. (1995). Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity, Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft and Technology, vol 28(1), 25-30.
- Hochestein P, and Atallah S (1988). The nature of oxidant and antioxidant systems in the inhibition of mutation and cancer, Mutation Research, vol 202(2), 363-375.
- Babu B H, Shylesh B S et al. (2001). Antioxidant and hepato protective effect of Acanthus ilicifolius, Fitoterapia, vol 72, 272-277.
- Marcocci L, Packer L et al. (1994). Antioxidant action of Ginkgo biloba extracts EGb 761, Methods in Enzymology, vol 234, 462-475.
- Aruoma O I (1998). Free radicals, oxidative stress and antioxidants in human health and disease, Journal of the American Oil Chemical Society, vol 75(2), 199-212.
- Janero D R (1990). Malondialdehyde and thiobarbituric acid reactivity as diagnostic indices of lipid peroxidation and peroxidative tissue injury, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol 9(6), 515-540.
- Soobrattee M A, Neergheen V S et al. (2005). Phenolics as potential antioxidant therapeutic agents: mechanism and actions, Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, vol 579(1-2), 200-213.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.