Total views : 264
A Content Analysis of Green Advertising Claims in Korea
This research examined the use of green advertising claims in Korean print advertisements. A content analysis was done for 18,671 environmental claims made in Korean advertising from 2013 to 2015. Each advertisement was coded according to five categories: green advertising, advertising type, green claim type, advertiser type, and product type. During this period, the study showed that only 0.8% of Korean print advertisements used environmental appeals. Green ad appeals in Korean advertisements were used to promote image, product quality, and public, in that order. The results of the study suggest that even though green issues are increasingly important in Korean society, there has been a lack of green advertising claims in Korean print advertisements. The findings of this research offered researchers a unique view of this field and some directions for future study in the field of green advertising appeals in print advertisements.
Advertising in Korea, Advertising Messages, Content Analysis, Environmental Ad Claims, Green Advertising.
- Kim M, Han S. Which company is the best for green advertising: The effects of green advertising on consumer response focused on advertiser characteristics. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S7):414–22. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS7/70913.
- Banerjee S. Gulas C, Iyer E. Shades of green: A multidimensional analysis of environmental advertising. Journal of Advertising Research. 1995; 24(2):21–32.
- Carlson L, Grove S, Kangin N. A content analysis of environmental advertising claims: A matrix approach. Journal of Advertising. 1993; 12(3):27–39.
- Chan R. The effectiveness of environmental advertising: The role of claim type and the source country green image. International Journal of Advertising. 2000; 19:349–75.
- Lee S, Jeong H. Effect of green advertising pattern and sponsor’s reliability of green on advertising response. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science. 1998; 1(1):43–60.
- Kim Y. The impact of environmental claim types and individual differences on advertising effectiveness. Korean Journal of Advertising Research. 2008; 20(4):89–103.
- Son J, The impact of ad appeal type, environmental claim type, and environmental involvement on consumers’ responses in an environmental advertising. Korean Journal of Public Relations and Advertising. 2010; 18:1–25.
- Choi SJ. Effects of the claim types of environmental new product advertisement and self-regulatory mode on consumer evaluation. Korean Journal of Advertising. 2013; 11(5):168–79.
- Iyer E. Banerjee B. Anatomy of green advertising. Advances in Consumer Research. 1993; 20:494–501.
- Davis J. Strategies for environmental advertising. The Journal of Consumer Marketing. 1993; 10(2):19–36.
- Oh C. A multidimensional analysis of green advertising: A test of the nature and framework of green appeals. The Korean Journal of Advertising. 2006; 17(4):7–39.
- Lee H. A content analysis of the environmental advertising in Korea. Korean Journalism and Communication Studies. 1999; 43(3):213–43.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.