Criteria for Publication
Outlined below are the mandatory criteria for any article to be considered for publication in the Indian Journal of Science and Technology. Failure to adhere to these criteria will result in rejection of the article by the editorial team.
- Article adheres to the manuscript preparation guidelines explained below
- Article should be in Microsoft Word format only
- Each article should be accompanied with a cover letter. For more details, refer the cover letter guidelines below.
- Articles should be written in single column format, using Times New Roman font, 12 point font size. Keep the layout of the text as simple as possible.
- Equations and formula should be readable, preferably written using equation editing softwares (E.g. MathType). Alternately, authors have to provide the fonts used for creating the equations/formulae.
- All figures provided are of high resolution, preferably 300dpi
- References should follow the Vancouver Style of Referencing.
Manuscript Preparation Guidelines
Articles submitted to Indian Journal of Science and Technology should conform to the guidelines indicated below. Before you submit, please study the author checklist provided at the end of this document. Following is the chronological order of topics to be included in the article:
- Concept headings (include statistical methodology, if any)
- Acknowledgements (If any)
The covering letter should be written by the corresponding author indicating how the manuscript is suitable for publication in Indian Journal of Science and Technology. All authors names are to be included in the letter (preferably along with their signatures) stating the article has not been published elsewhere or communicated to any other publication apart from Indian Journal of Science and Technology. If the article is authored by a student, it is requested that he/she obtain the approval of the institution department prior to submitting the article.
Authors are requested to send their articles in MS Word (.doc) format. In case of any difficulty with the manuscript submission process or concern regarding the suitability of your files, please contact us at email@example.com
The title should be concise and specific to the topic of the article Avoid using abbreviations in the title. Titles should be presented in title case, meaning that all words except for prepositions, articles, and conjunctions should be capitalized. All botanical names should be in italics.
E.g. An Experimental Study of Classification Algorithms for Crime Prediction
Author names & Affiliations
Provide first names or initials (if used), middle names or initials (if used), and surnames for all authors. Affiliation details should include—department, university or organization, city, state and country for all authors. One of the authors should be designated as the corresponding author with asterisk (*) against his/her name. Only the corresponding author’s email address should be provided in the article. It is the corresponding author’s responsibility to ensure that the author list and the summary of the author contributions to the study are accurate and complete.
Abstract & Keywords
The abstract introduces the article and should not exceed 300 words. It should mention the techniques used without going into methodological detail and should summarize the most important results. Please do not include any citations in the abstract and avoid using abbreviations if possible.
Authors should provide 4-6 keywords for indexing purposes. Keywords should be written in title case and separated by comma. Avoid general and plural terms and multiple concepts (avoid, for example, 'and', 'of').
For a better understanding of the content in the article, we encourage authors to number the article headings in Arabic style format. Headings should follow title case, meaning that all words except for prepositions, articles, and conjunctions should be capitalized. All botanical names should be in italics.
For example: 1. Finite Element Modelling (FEM)
1.1 Model Description
All abbreviations should be defined on first use in the text along with the abbreviation in parenthesis. E.g. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Units and Symbols
Symbols should be used while referring to alpha, beta, mu, etc (Ex: α, β, µ, etc). All units to follow the International System of Units (SI units).
Figures: General guidelines
- Figures Format & Resolution: Authors are requested to supply high-resolution versions of the figures in TIFF, JPEG or EPS format. We require that figures be created at a minimum resolution of 300 ppi.
- File size: The file sizes should not exceed 20 MB.
- File naming: Naming of figure files should be simple indicating the serial number and last name of author. E.g. if author’s name is Bob Marley, Figure 1 should be named as “Fig 1_Marley”.
- Figure submission: Figures should be submitted after uploading the article (in step 4 of the submission process in supplementary files). In case of multiple files, upload the figures in order. E.g. Figure 1 should be uploaded first followed by Figure 2, 3 and so on.
- Citation: All figures must be cited in the text and authors should indicate where they are to be inserted in the text. E.g. <insert figure 1 here>.
- Figure captions: These have to be included in the text and provided sequentially at the end of the article. The captions should be short having 10-15 words in sentence case style. E.g. Figure 1. Percentage of detection rate vs. number of nodes.
- Permissions: Authors should obtain permission from authors for copyright figures and tables before submitting to Indian Journal of Science and Technology
All figures will be published under a Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows them to be freely used, distributed, and built upon as long as proper attribution is given. Please do not submit any figures that have been previously copyrighted unless you have express written permission from the copyright holder to publish under the CCAL license.
Tables: General guidelines
- Tables should be included in the text file at the end of the article.
- All tables should have a concise title and written as Table 1 with a period (.).
E.g. Table 1. Stimulation settings
- Footnotes can be used to explain abbreviations. Tables extending beyond 1 page should be avoided.
People who contributed to the work but do not fit the criteria for authors should be listed in the Acknowledgments, along with their contributions. Authors are requested to ensure that anyone named in the Acknowledgments agrees to being so named.
- Only published or accepted manuscripts should be included in the reference list. Meetings, abstracts, conference talks, or papers that have been submitted but not yet accepted should not be cited.
- In text citations: References cited in text should conform to the Vancouver style. Please refer the Vancouver Style of Referencing.
- Reference List: This should only contain references to those works which you have cited in your text. It should appear at the end of your text. It should be arranged numerically by citation number. Examples are indicated below.
Overview of the Production Process
Upon acceptance of the paper, authors will be contacted by the production team of Indian Journal of Science and Technology. The manuscript will be processed through editing and scrutinized for any missing elements or disparities. Authors will be contacted by the production team and asked to supply the missing information in their paper. This will be the final stage for authors to send amendments to the manuscript. Upon finalization of the edited files, the files will be processed through typesetting to generate first proofs. Authors will receive the first proofs of their article to resolve any pending queries. Authors are advised not to send any corrections at the proofs stage and are requested to co-operate with the production team to ensure smooth workflow and timely publication of the journal issue.
Author Checklist before Submission
Are you ready to submit your article? We recommend you check these items one final time before uploading the article on our website. In case of any difficulty in submitting your article, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter with all author names
- Manuscript is adhering to guidelines
- All author affiliations provided
- Corresponding author’s email address provided
- All figures and tables are called out in the manuscript
- All figures have been uploaded on the online submission platform
These guidelines are adapted from the PLoS ONE website (http://www.plosone.org), published under the Creative Commons Attribution License