• P-ISSN 0974-6846 E-ISSN 0974-5645

Indian Journal of Science and Technology


Indian Journal of Science and Technology

Year: 2022, Volume: 15, Issue: 40, Pages: 2103-2108

Original Article

A Comparative Study of Severity of Covid-19 Infection & their Radiological Findings in Vaccinated and Unvaccinated Individuals

Received Date:27 July 2022, Accepted Date:06 September 2022, Published Date:31 October 2022


Objectives: To compare the severity of COVID-19 infection and their radiological findings between vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. Also, to investigate if any difference of severity of infection exists between patients with blood group ‘A’ and with blood group ‘O’. Methods: This study has 302 patients which include both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. Both the group of patients were subjected to Computed tomography-Chest imaging and the severity of COVID-19 infection was analyzed between both the groups using CT-Severity score (CT-SS). Findings: In 302 study population, 91% of patients are unvaccinated and remaining 9% are vaccinated. Among these patients, 273 were having CORADS-5 which constitute 90% of population. Mortality among unvaccinated people was 17.2% compared to vaccinated people having mortality rate of 3.4% which was significant. Individuals with Blood group ‘A’ were highly infected and individuals with group ‘O’ were least affected compared to individuals with other blood groups among unvaccinated individuals. Novelty: Increased mortality was seen among unvaccinated individuals( 17.2%)compared to vaccinated patients(3.4%). CT-Severity score was lower among vaccinated patients compared to unvaccinated patients. This study also compared the severity of the infection in individuals with various ABO blood groups among unvaccinated patients which showed that there was a significant effect on blood groups on severity of infection.

Keywords: COVID19; Vaccination; CTSeverity score; ABO Blood grouping; Mortality


  1. Granata V, Fusco R, Villanacci A, Magliocchetti S, Urraro F, Tetaj N, et al. Imaging Severity COVID-19 Assessment in Vaccinated and Unvaccinated Patients: Comparison of the Different Variants in a High Volume Italian Reference Center. Journal of Personalized Medicine. 2022;12(6):955. Available from: https://doi.org/10.3390/jpm12060955
  2. Schiebler M, Bluemke D. Seeing Is Believing: COVID-19 Vaccination Leads to Less Pneumonia at Chest CT. Radiology. 2022;303:693–695. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.220129
  3. Verma A, Kumar I, Singh PK, Ansari MS, Singh HA, Sonkar S, et al. Initial comparative analysis of pulmonary involvement on HRCT between vaccinated and non-vaccinated subjects of COVID-19. Eur Radiol. 2022;32(6):4275–4283. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-021-08475-8
  4. Goel R, Bloch EM, Pirenne F, Al‐riyami AZ, Crowe E, Dau L, et al. ABO blood group and COVID‐19: a review on behalf of the ISBT COVID‐19 Working Group. Vox Sanguinis. 2021;116(8):849–861. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1111/vox.13076
  5. Fan Q, Zhang W, Li B, Li DJ, Zhang J, Zhao F. Association Between ABO Blood Group System and COVID-19 Susceptibility in Wuhan. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 2020;10:404. Available from: https://doi.org/10.3389/fcimb.2020.00404
  6. Zhao J, Yang Y, Huang H, Li D, Gu D, Lu X, et al. Relationship Between the ABO Blood Group and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Susceptibility. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2021;73(2):328–331. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa1150
  7. Lee JE, Hwang M, Kim YH, Chung MJ, Sim BH, Chae KJ, et al. Imaging and Clinical Features of COVID-19 Breakthrough Infections: A Multicenter Study. Radiology. 2022;303(3):682–692. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.213072
  8. Montecino-Rodriguez E, Berent-Maoz B, Dorshkind K. Causes, consequences, and reversal of immune system aging. J Clin Invest. 2013;123(3):3582124. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI64096
  9. Nemet I, Kliker L, Lustig Y, Zuckerman N, Erster O, Cohen C, et al. Third BNT162b2 Vaccination Neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Infection. N Engl J Med. 2021;386(5):492–494. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2119358


2022 Moogaambiga et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited. Published By Indian Society for Education and Environment (iSee)


Subscribe now for latest articles and news.