Indian Journal of Science and Technology
Year: 2009, Volume: 2, Issue: 4, Pages: 87-90
Varaprasad Bobbarala1*, Prasanth Kumar Katikala2 , K. Chandrasekhar Naidu3 and Somasekhar Penumajji4
1For U Biosciences, A/4A, Park lane Residency, East point colony, Visakhapatnam, A.P-530017, India.
2Pharmaceutical Biotechnol. Div., A. U. College of Pharmaceutical Sci., Andhra Univ., Visakhapatnam-530003.
3Dept. of Botany, Andhra Univ., Visakhapatnam; 4 Vivimed Labs Ltd., Veeranag Towers, Habsiguda, Hyderabad, AP.
*Author for the correspondence: Varaprasad Bobbarala For U Biosciences, A/4A, Park lane Residency, East point colony, Visakhapatnam, A.P-530017, India [email protected]
In this present study forty nine different plants used in traditional Indian medicine were examined against Aspergillus niger using agar well diffusion method. The methanolic extracts of 43 plants exhibited varying degrees of inhibition activity against the fungi. Among the forty nine plants studied 86% of the plants had antifungal activity while the remaining 14% had no antifungal activity. The extract from Grewia arborea showed maximum activity. Emblica officinales, Heldigordia populipolia, Hyptis sueolences, Moringa heterophylla, Strychnos nuxvomica and Vitex negundo did not exhibit antifungal activity at the condition studied.
Keywords: Aspergillus niger, Antifungal, medicinal plants
Subscribe now for latest articles and news.