Indian Journal of Science and Technology
Year: 2019, Volume: 12, Issue: 13, Pages: 1-9
S. Jothi Lakshmi, Saranya Jaisankar and Krishnendu Mukhopadhyay*
Department of Environmental Health Engineering, Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University), Porur, Chennai - 600116, Tamil Nadu, India; [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
*Author for correspondence
Department of Environmental Health Engineering, Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University), Porur, Chennai - 600116, Tamil Nadu, India. Email: [email protected]
Aim: To assess knowledge, attitude, practice and its impact on acetyl cholinesterase (AChE) level among 100 male Organophosphate pesticide applicators in South India. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A cross sectional study was performed among pesticide applicators in Theni district, Tamil Nadu. They were interviewed using a standard questionnaire on knowledge, attitude and practice. Blood samples were collected for serum AChE level. The results were analyzed using R studio. Pearson correlation coefficient was used to determine relationships between variables. The P value uses lower than 0.05 were considered statistically significant. Findings: Applicators reported high levels of knowledge on the name of the pesticide used in the agriculture field. The common symptoms felt by the applicators include eye and skin irritation and headache. Regarding Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) long pants and long sleeved shirt (78%) were considered as most effective tool in controlling pesticide exposure. About 98% of the respondents were strongly agreed that pesticides are harmful to human health and environment and expensive chemicals are effective to control pest better than the cheaper chemicals. Blood results showed that 20% of participants’ AChE levels were normal and remaining 80% of the participants’ had an abnormal AChE levels. Knowledge was statistically significant with acetylcholine esterase level among organophosphate pesticide applicators. Conclusions: Knowledge shows a significant correlation with the AChE level. The applicators’ AChE levels were found to be lower than the normal standard because of their pesticide exposure.
Keywords: Acetyl Cholinesterase (AChE), Attitude and Practice of Pesticide Use, Knowledge, Organophosphate Pesticides, Personal Protective Equipment’s, Pesticide Applicators
Subscribe now for latest articles and news.