Indian Journal of Science and Technology
Year: 2015, Volume: 8, Issue: 29, Pages: 1-8
M. Mishra1* and K. C. Panda2
1 Department of Civil Engineering, NIST, BPUT, Berhampur-761008, Odisha, India; [email protected]
2 Department of Civil Engineering, ITER, Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan University, Bhubaneswar-751030, Odisha, India; [email protected]
Now-a-days lot of waste material is generated owing to population growth and life style. With Enormous use of motor vehicles, the waste rubber tyre became a big environmental issue as it is not easily biodegradable. Hence, the research efforts are focussed to use this waste advantageously by understanding the performance and durability characteristics of rubberized concrete. The present study is carried out an experimental investigation on fresh and hardened properties of Self Compacting Concrete (SCC) containing waste tyre rubber. In Self Compacting Rubberized Concrete (SCRC), the replacement of aggregate is 0%, 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% with coarse rubber chips. The size of rubber chips are used in the present study is 5mm and 10mm. The total volume of rubber chips are replaced in coarse aggregate i.e. 40% from 5mm size and 60% from 10mm size. To obtain fresh properties in SCRC the slump, T500, J-Ring, V-Funnel, L-Box and U-Box tests are conducted whereas for hardened properties the Compressive, Flexural and Split Tensile tests are conducted. The grade of concrete used in the present study is M30, whereas for SCC, the mix design is carried out in trial basis. The fine aggregate quantity increased 34% and coarse aggregate quantity decreased 34% with Water Cement ratio (W/C) 0.375 and 0.4% of Super plasticizer. In this study, an attempt has been made to identify the fresh and hardened properties necessary for the design of concrete mix. The study demonstrates the potential use of rubber chips in concrete.
Keywords: Rubber Chips, Self Compacting Rubberized Concrete (SCRC), Super Plasticizer (SP), Workability
Subscribe now for latest articles and news.