• P-ISSN 0974-6846 E-ISSN 0974-5645

Indian Journal of Science and Technology


Indian Journal of Science and Technology

Year: 2011, Volume: 4, Issue: 9, Pages: 1160-1161

Original Article

Prevalence of refractive error in school children


This paper focuses on the young school children aged about 12 years (Class VII), who were affected by refractive errors. From the data collected and the analyses made, various revealing facts have been unearthed. Convenient random sampling was adopted to select the schools in Kanchipuram District in India. From the selected four schools, out of 642 students only 628 were present and were screened. Vision screening was done with the help of experienced Optometrist in the respective class rooms under the supervision of investigator and class teachers. Result of this study shows that, 30.57% of students were identified as vision defective. From which 43.75% are Boys and 56.25% of them are Girls. Significant differences were found with respect of their residential area, that is 27.08% were in rural, 34.37% of them were from urban area and 38.55% were residing in semi urban. But there was no awareness among the students and parents regarding the consequences of uncorrected vision problems. This statement has been proved, when we observe the number of students wore glasses. Yes, only 7.26% of vision defective students are wearing glasses. The remaining 92.74% of students are unaware about their problems.  


Subscribe now for latest articles and news.